Around 2006, I remember when I had my "jetski" (popular name for water motorcycles, it was yamaha waverunner more properly speaking), a friend (Todd) of mine developed some brakes for "jetski" that turn on by the inertia of deceleration... they worked pretty well... no need to tap anything, levers or stuff, every time you slowdown a brake light turn on... I think I saw that later on in motorcycles. I know he sold the patent. I think that is a great thing to have in a motorcycle in particular if you like to engine brake. he also created some jetski speakers that were loud enough to use in the jetski while riding... they were deep and heavy, but that is another totally different subject.

DSC03429small.jpg
Yamaha.jpg
DSC_2405small.jpg

screengrab1.jpg

A fully integrated bike control would involve down shifting and the use of both brakes at the same time. I found myself doing this today without really realizing it. The chief rule of down shifting is not to cause an unplanned lock up of the rear wheel or any such force as to loose control. Even down shifting letting out the clutch abruptly in a turn could cause a dangerous destabilization of the bike. Be smooth.

I do like to touch the brake when a ridder is following closely to alert him of my speed reduction . Smooth and safe.
Exactly!!! I never engine brake, they put brakes on the bike for a reason....along with a brake light for your safety and the person behind you. I know I'm an awful person but I think engine braking is a very poor riding habit. I'm glad you at least touch the brakes for the guy behind you. Riding friend of mine heavily engine brakes and I've watched way to many close calls from fellow riders and cars behind him. To this day he still does it, I'm just waiting until someone literally catches up with him.

no...just ride it to the situation....down thru the gears and around...no need for brake lights

Having ridden a few thousand kms behind @Tal have never had a problem with his using the gears engine braking. Because of the fact you shouldn't be watching what he is doing but what's happening up the road.

i have just read this thread thru from the start again and of course i use my brakes like probably everyone does, but i find using the engine as a brake on this bike it works well for me. If the corner or situation demands the brake i know where it is. I ride with a couple of friends who hardly touch their brakes it seems...they just go around the corner and go...i find when your'e following riders like this, then you do much the same because of the lines they ride...you follow and learn.

i know there are different ideas and reasons for riders using their brakes but if im following someone who is using his brakes all the time i go around him...to me its a lack of confidence in their ability to ride the corners or a lack in confidence in their machine or they cant read corners.....you can steam right up on a bike when the rider is braking...im gone..

Back