Cosmic Robber Fly

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 GT
Just bought a new 2021 Rocket 3 GT. What are the best downshift
speeds for each gear? Don't want to bog or race the engine with
speed and gear out of synch.

WELCOME! from Miami, Fl... Regardless of the bike I'm on... I can usually just 'feel it' (easing out the clutch slowly... no dumping). Others with true technical expertise will be along...
-MIG

Last edited:
I think the bike prefers to be above 2000 rpm and I’d not down shift when it results in 4000 or above. I doubt you will hurt the bike with anything that is reasonable down shifting.

Seems a wee bit of a strange question, my usual answer you can feel it through your arse(not kidding) as you get a few miles on the bike you will soon learn what it likes and does not, using the gears rather than the brakes is fine as long as no other road users are present if so please use your brakes so the old brake light comes on

I use the gears as brakes rather than using the brakes...the bike loves it and you find then that the gear is perfect for accelerating away again. Its such a manouverable bike to ride a gear change and counter steer and your'e around and gone.
Do you at least tap the brakes to activate the brake light so people behind you know you're braking?

A fully integrated bike control would involve down shifting and the use of both brakes at the same time. I found myself doing this today without really realizing it. The chief rule of down shifting is not to cause an unplanned lock up of the rear wheel or any such force as to loose control. Even down shifting letting out the clutch abruptly in a turn could cause a dangerous destabilization of the bike. Be smooth.

I do like to touch the brake when a ridder is following closely to alert him of my speed reduction . Smooth and safe.

Back