10,000 Mile Service

HD2Rocket3

.060 Over
I would be interested to know what others are paying for their 10,000 miles service. I have been shopping around and found a dealer who will do it for $475 if the valves don't need adjusted and $595 if they do - if I bring it in before March 1. Labor, parts, oil change, etc. He told me that he rarely ever sees Rockets needing a valve adjustment at 10,000 miles. Seems pretty good compared to a lot of other places I have called. Is that pretty much in line with what everyone is paying? Have you found that valve adjustments aren't usually necessary at 10,000 miles? He also said he would mount the tires I bought for $158 which is by far the lowest price I have found.

i payed bout 400 for my 10000 service but i change my own oil and filter and the valves r supposed to be checked at 10000, 30000 etc
i just had my 30000 mile service with 4 valves adjusted and plugs changed and the rest i did myself and that was right at $400 for that

$158 to mount tires is the cheapest in your area? Wow, thats an expensive area. $34 a wheel is what the rate near me is for bring your own.

$ 700 for the full service at 10k. The 20k is about the same. All three dealers in my area charge about the same. I'm just at 40k now. I do my own oil changes now. Haven't had the vavles checked since the 10k, no apparent problems. From what I've read, valve adjustments are not all that common.

Oh and tires.... $ 350 for the rear installed ($250 for the tire, $100 for install). A bit less for the front. **** expensive. Try to save where I can.

I just got home from picking up my 2007 R3 Classic for its 10,000 mile service. It was actually 9,000 miles but the Metzelers were beginning to scare me :D I had them replace the Metz with Avons that I ordered. The service and the tire installation was $649. Based on the calling around I did, I saved a few hundred $$$ by taking it to Maryland Yamaha Motorcycle Dealer - Fredericktown Yamaha - Frederick, MD, Triumph, Snowmobiles, Scooters, more... The valves didn't need adjustment so I guess that will need to be done at 20,000 miles. Apparently valve adjustments at 10,000 aren't usually necessary. The only issue was the rear brake pads which they replaced. So far, the only real issue I have with the bike is cold weather starting. New battery, battery tender and it still has to be jumped if it's below about 40 degrees. They checked the battery for a slow drain and didn't find anything. The trip back this afternoon was about 70 miles and have have to say that so far I LOVE the Avons. The Metz always made me feel like the bike was trying to stand me back up when I went into a corner but with the Avons when I leaned into a corner, it stayed leaned :) I'm sure a new set of Metzelers would also feel better than an old set of Avons, but I put the last 5500 miles on the Metz and they always handled that way. The difference is noticeable enough that I may quit watching Craigslist for a sport bike, for a while anyway. Can't wait to get it back into the mountains!

Good report HD2Rocket3

I've taken in my Rocket to the same dealer as you have, for the 600 mile service. Was hesitantly satisfied with end result (I say "hesitantly" satisfied since was first time with this dealer). Owner is a old curmudgeon but I've sat and talked with him; and he's seemingly a good ole guy.

Shawn or Sean (whatever, I can never get names right) seemed to knowledgeable; what I really wanted to do was talk with the Triumph techs behind him. Those guys are the one's that will touch your Rocket.

I'm undecided at this point if I'm going to take in my Rocket for the 10K service. I reviewed the maintenance schedule, and other than checking the valves, the only other major event is the oil change. I can do that myself.

I'm a betting man; at least in this scenario. My bike runs like a bat out of hell. Valve check/adjustment can wait until 20K. Then they'll get the extra green.

When is the last time you heard of a Rocket 3 blowing up before 20K; due to mis-adjusted valves......?

So far, the only real issue I have with the bike is cold weather starting. New battery, battery tender and it still has to be jumped if it's below about 40 degrees. They checked the battery for a slow drain and didn't find anything.
I guess you've considered the Odyssey PC625 w/Odyssey charger and vetoed the idea?

...I'm a betting man; at least in this scenario. My bike runs like a bat out of hell. Valve check/adjustment can wait until 20K. Then they'll get the extra green.

When is the last time you heard of a Rocket 3 blowing up before 20K; due to mis-adjusted valves......?

No offense, Will, but that there's what folks call a fool's bet.

In nearly all cases you will never hear or feel if your valves are out of spec, that is, until it's too late.

My bike ran like a bat out of hell, too, but three valves required adjustment at just over the 11K mile mark.

It's your bike, so obviously you can do as you please, but is skipping a $500 important
scheduled servicing worth risking a fried motor?:confused:

This ain't no Honda VTX... Know what I mean?;)

Total bill $754
Includes:
10,000 mile service and valve adjust
Install new rear tire(purchased elsewhere)
Replace rear brakes

Back