TxRIIIRider

Living Legend
Well, after success with TuneECU and loading a new map and recalibrating the TPS.. I'm back to TPS issues again. This time, TuneECU still sees it, but my bike will not idle at all and runs like crap. and no matter what I do to the TPS, the bike runs the same. I should be able to flood the bike until it dies if I move the TPS in the right direction, but it doesn't make any difference anymore.
Since I really hope to have my bike for next week, I have been brave and swapped the Primary and Secondary TPS sensors. They are exactly the same, except one has longer cables, but they both reach their respective plugs without any problems. I already have them swapped, but it got late on me yesterday, so I will calibrate the TPS with TuneECU when I get home this evening.. and see where I am..

I was having a similar problem. Been going on for a year or so now. I replaced the TPS with the new model . . lasted about a week and then back to the fast idle. I could flick the kill switch and all would be good again so I had to assume that the issue was NOT the TPS and had to be somewhere else. I did a little re-map with Tuneboy to get rid of more of my decel pop . . . loaded it about two weeks ago and since then, no more problem. I am wondering if the ECM is learning bad habits over a period of time and has to be reminded what to do.

Well, that effort failed. Lesson learned.. the Secondary TPS has different voltage than the Primary TPS.. lol Well, I am tired of messing with it and I guess I'll be paying the dealer to figure it out..

The one part of the Rocket that has caused me problems.. the fuel system.. and it's almost got me ready to trade it in on a Speedmaster..

I love my Rocket.. it is one really cool looking bike, and when it's on.. it's really on and runs awesome.. I have just shy of 63,000 miles on her and have never had a mechanical problem, but I've been dealing with fuel problems off an on with it for years and it's just getting old. My attitude will probably change once she's running right again.. lol

Maybe it's time to get a newer RIII. The '04 models had a lot of teething problems. My '05 (bought new Nov. 2006) has had very few issues (knock on wood). I'm just over 30K miles and it's still running strong. Let us know what the dealer finds (and don't let them get away with NOT explaining the problem). Best of luck.:)

Gonna go test ride the bike in a few hours. I feel like a dork. The problem was a vacuum leak! The dealer replaced the rubbers that connect the throttle bodies to the head.. Dang it.. I checked every hose, sprayed starting fluid around them, etc.. but nothing.. but I didn't check there..

It will be so awesome if that is it though.. I so need my bike this weekend!.. lol

Back