JeffR3Colorado

.020 Over
Ride
2007 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic Tourer
I need a little advice. I have a 2007 R3 Tourer. I upgraded the starter/solenoid to a 1.8kw unit from a 2001 Toyota highlander (new). After shortening the push rod & bolting up the triumph gear box. It all bolted up clean. I bench tested the unit and it almost jumps off the table. Reconnect it to the bike and all I get is a single click. My ignition wire is only bringing down 11.6v to the solenoid. Bench test I was jumping straight from the battery with 12.5v. I check ground to engine and frame and i get
.2 olms, so i think it is grounded good. So is that lose of 1v causing the solenoid not to fully engage? Am I losing that volt to the lighting circut? Or something else? Where do I look next? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

You might want to replace the starter relay
When you tested on the bench did you use the starter solenoid to energize the starter?
If you know what you are doing you can jumper the relay to see if that works.
I think that you have the 11.6volts because the starter solenoid is not activating.

You might want to replace the starter relay
When you tested on the bench did you use the starter solenoid to energize the starter?
If you know what you are doing you can jumper the relay to see if that works.
I think that you have the 11.6volts because the starter solenoid is not activating.
Hey Turbo, let me horn in with a question. Today and every once in a while when I hit the starter button I get a loud, "snap!", as if I touched a screwdriver or wrench to the battery by accident. Is that an electrical arc of some sort at the starter> What might be the cause? Thanks.

I bench tested the solenoid and starter motor and its good. I jumped the starter on the bike and it turned over great. I tested the relay and it was good. I tested the starter button and it is good. I replaced the fuse and it is good. I believe the issue to be in the key switch, so I order a Dawg remote key system in hopes that fixes the issue. Waiting on the delivery guy now....

Hey Turbo, let me horn in with a question. Today and every once in a while when I hit the starter button I get a loud, "snap!", as if I touched a screwdriver or wrench to the battery by accident. Is that an electrical arc of some sort at the starter> What might be the cause? Thanks.

I THINK THAT IF YOU CHECKED IN THE DARK (SOrry caps) it might show up a bad onnection.
loose connector

I bench tested the solenoid and starter motor and its good. I jumped the starter on the bike and it turned over great. I tested the relay and it was good. I tested the starter button and it is good. I replaced the fuse and it is good. I believe the issue to be in the key switch, so I order a Dawg remote key system in hopes that fixes the issue. Waiting on the delivery guy now....

did you check the ign switch? wiggle test. when you push down on the key assyembly is it a little springloaded? is the voltagegoing away when cranking?
also if you dont have any click then while you are holding the starter button in slowly let clutch lever out.

I THINK THAT IF YOU CHECKED IN THE DARK (SOrry caps) it might show up a bad onnection.
loose connector
Okay, good idea. Now I just need to figure out how to press the starter button with the clutch lever pulled in and at the same time be in a prone position on the ground where I can see the connections, in the dark, with my one good eye. 🤣

Still need help, so here is what I did. I upgraded to the Guard dawg ingintion system. Now I have a click in the starter relay, but not sending juice to the stater. I have 12v coming into the relay when I hit the starter button. But no juice going to the starter. I read about an issue with the clutch safety switch? I found that pole 85 in the relay is connected to the clutch lever. I have 45 olmns with the level out, and when I pull the clutch in it jumps to 58 olmns. Is this why the relay is not working?

Back