Russell Day Long Seat Failure

If I would life closer to Russel maybe I would do it. Mean buying an Russel seat. With the knowledge from today another material.
But knowing about such a lousy customer service I am not willing to make such a experiance far away. (Including the customs thing, which makes life not easyier in Germany).

I think a Company working in the "Bikers-Scene" should know about forums and brotherhood. because of that I can not understand such a decission. It cost this company close to nothing. think shipping costs would be the greatest part on the costs.

As a former Manager from a bigger Company I trained my employees.
1. law - the Customer is allways right.
2. a Customers recommandation is much better than other advertisement
3. the Customer pays our monthly sallary

Mabey the service manager should visit a business training.

I would try to send a message to the top management.

We have a saying in Germany
Talk to Schmidt not to little Schmidtie

Per my Russell problems: Each person has to live with his decision, no matter who craps on him.

Don't forget to look at my edit above at the pictures of my recovered seats. Really like them.

Corbin says "You wouldn't buy vinyl boots, would you?"

I dunno... I really prefer leather, but then I'm lucky enough that my bikes live in the garage when they're not being ridden, so they're protected much of the time. When I ordered a seat from Russell in 2010, I sprung for the leather, and I have been really happy with their product. The comfort trumps the odd appearance in my view.

I have had some vinyl seats, but it has been Marine Grade Vinyl through Sargent. Although my butt can tell the difference between Vinyl and Leather through kevlar reinforced jeans, I don't mind vinyl if it holds up well. The OP's vinyl seat sure looked nasty. I've never had any seats go that route from any vendor.... not even OEM.

I would think you could take any motorcycle seat and leave it in all kinds of weather and it would be ok after 18 months.
I guess it is normal to complain when you don't get your way with a dealer / supplier of parts. I sent my seats to Russell and have been very pleased with the results. My beef is the vinyl has started to fail and Russell can only comment the it must have been left in the sun. The pictures show that the vinyl has a sort of cancer. It is spreading and looks like sheet! I'm under the 18month warranty and no help other than send it back for recovering for $285 plus shipping, for just one seat! All three pieces have this problem.

Sorry Russell, no more business from me if you can't stand behind your products. You SUCK:mad::mad:
I bought my Corbin dual seat right after I bought my R3 in '06. I've ridden it through rain, snow and desert and occasionally left it outside of the garage for weeks at a time. Last year, the stitching in the middle started breaking apart, right where I usually slid my boot when getting off. 9 years of great service! I'm taking it back to Hollester to get it recovered. I have done a number of Iron Butt runs (just never sent in the paperwork) and it is is the most comfortable saddle I've ever had. Just saying...

I don't remember this thread originally, but this is the first negative I've ever heard about Russel, quite surprised.

Thank you for that thread and posting your problem.

The no-go-list is getting longer!

I was very close to get this seat as a Christmas present. Already made the pictures seating on the bike which is necessary for the order.

Because I am riding long distances in sunny Spain and living in rainy Germany my seat will catch sun and will get wet and will be ridden in rain.

Because I am from Germany and need no problems with sending things and taking it out of custom.....

I break with the RDL Seat. Maybe I go for Corbin, they have a store close to me.
long time since I spoke to you ( oops did not mean to hijack the thread)I am considering a 2017 spain summer with my R3

5-year old thread resurrected.

A lot can change in 5 years. :)

I had a Russell in all leather on my Concours. No issues, and excellent comfort. I treated the leather every few months.

The R3R seat is great for an hour. Ok for another hour and torture after that.

Going for a Corbin dual tour with heat. Mr. Moto in Albany wants over a grand and Russell is similar. I am thinking the Corbin firm surface will work best now. And, I do not want to hose up the roadster lines with the Russell wings.

In Arizona, vinyl, marine grade or not ages quickly. Dark colors cannot be touched or sat on when the bike is in full sun , or you get burned. Less of an issue mnnnnhere in Oregon.

Armor all or similar products seem to help.

In very cold climates, vinyl can be stiff and less flexible. And, I think there are bad batches of vinyl. Last year, we had vinyl plank installed in the whole house. All of it was pulled up and Shaw, the manufacturer, paid for it. It shrunk, separating the planks.

At the costs of these premium seats, my thought would be the customer should be king.

I don't remember this thread originally, but this is the first negative I've ever heard about Russel, quite surprised.

You was here before: Post#38 17 Oct 2011
****, I was just on the Russel site today, but "out in the sun"? Well yeah! This thread scared me off a Russel.

Compliments of Ishrub's Memory Service ;)
I'm getting good at this with my 87 and 86 year old parents too, with all us 'aged' Captains it is a skill I think I can put into practice often :D
Unlike Russel the good thing is if I stuff up my clients don't know any better.:roll::roll:

Back