Russell Day Long Seat Failure

Snuffcityrider had a nice Russel Day Long seat on his Rocket before he became a traitor (trader?) and swapped it for a GoldWing. He had the seat on his bike for several years. He and his wife took some long trips from central Texas over to New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado once a year with it, as well as other road trips, and all I heard was positive stuff about it. My wife and I have met up with them a time or two amd when my whife saw that seat she said if we rode 2 up more often, she would be making me get one of those!.. lol He still has some pics in his photo album. He does check in still, so you can PM him..
I had nothing but good results from Russell, the seat is somewhere in England. I sold it and everything else I could scavenge before becoming a traitor...miss the Rocket btw.

That does look like a nice cumfortable seat thats for sure. To bad Triumph didn't make a nice cumfortable seat, It would be nice if all bike came with a nice seat for the price they charge for new mortocycles.

Same seat I have. Russell seats are different . . . they work because they are wider and support your backside. They arent meant to be real pretty, just work. When you start chopping off the "wings" the whole comfort thing goes away . . might as well just buy a triumph seat and keep it.

Update on seat fix

As in my last message , Russel blew me off and stuck with the sun damage thing. I still have the seat with "Petes Seats" . Been about 12 weeks now as I have a solo seat and he had to order more material. I will save the damaged goods and try again with Russell, or just paste a bunch of pics on the digital forums and share just the facts. BTW "Pete" is old school with updated knowledge on this stuff. Can't wait to share the pics of the new material. He confirmed it is cheap, defective material at about $8 / yard. He's using some $50 / yard( really $85) from Germany I believe. Looks like snake skin.
Later

Well, here they are. I really like them compared to the crap Russell is shipping out. Had the **** ugly wings cut off the tag along seat. Much better.

P1030581.jpg P1030580.jpg P1030583.jpg

I have 2, maybe 3 aftermarket seats for the R3T that I'll be listing in the Classified section soon.

One is my Blue Marsmallow Road Sofa, the most comfortable seat EVER. Guaranteed! (Not the purtiest, but so dang comfy.) There are photos of it on this site.

Then I have the Triumph solo bucket seat, re-covered in black alligator. With that I have the matching pillion seat and sissy bar pad, also reupholseterd in the same cool skin.

And I'm thinking about selling my Triumph LongHaul dual saddle.

I'll have photos up soon.

I really wanted to try out the Russel DL, but will stick with whichever seat that I don't end up selling.

If anyone is interested, lemme know.

Dan

I'll say it again. Russell owners are my number one customer. One went so far as to send Russell a long e-mail telling them about the cover I make for bike seats. It stops ALL damage from sun-rain, and the like. Russell had zero interest and continues to offer their customers a "shower ca" style cover that does no justice to their product.

BTW-most high quality replacement seat OEM's have no concept of how a correct cover should be made. Corbin goes so far as to recommend their rain cover NOT be used while riding the bike!

Motorcycle Cruiser mag, in the Dec. 2011 issue reviewed my product. Guess what they said.............

Motorcycle Cruiser mag, in the Dec. 2011 issue reviewed my product. Guess what they said.............

King that was just getting interesting I wanted to read more, what did they say?
What a tease:)

Its a shame that when anything opens that is new customer service is great they bend over backwards and they stand behind there product, and as soon as they get well knowen then things start to slide.

Resturants do the same thing when they open the sevings is so much the food is great then the portions get smaller and the food gets more expensive:confused:

Thank you for that thread and posting your problem.

The no-go-list is getting longer!

I was very close to get this seat as a Christmas present. Already made the pictures seating on the bike which is necessary for the order.

Because I am riding long distances in sunny Spain and living in rainy Germany my seat will catch sun and will get wet and will be ridden in rain.

Because I am from Germany and need no problems with sending things and taking it out of custom.....

I break with the RDL Seat. Maybe I go for Corbin, they have a store close to me.

M/C cruiser mag liked it well enough. 3 1/2 stars out of 5-not sure why as they had zero negative comments. Maybe because the seat needs to be removed (in most cases) to secure the cover? Well, on most bikes there is zero clearence for a slip-on.

I'll post a link when they get it on their website. In the meantime, all info. is at www.kingoffleece.com. For my R3 riding friends, if you want a cover just ask for free shipping-but don't tell the other sites-OK?!

Just joking-I want all riders to be comfortable-I started making these things because everything on the market is "glorified baggie".

The R3 on the website is my old 2008. It has EDGE 103XL bags and I also have covers for those and similar sized bags.

Fellow Captains....
I have a question, and I do hope the inquiry is not perceived incorrectly. Here goes...
I have been considering purchasing a Russel seat for several months now, and through all of my internet research (this site, other bike forums, testimonials, etc.), the negative feedback on the company and their product as been negligible....in other words, 99.9% of the customer feedback has been positive - including that on this forum prior to the problems Greyfox experienced with his vinyl RDL seat back in June. I have read his posts regarding the experience, and I can agree that his is a real bummer of a situation that probably should have been handled better by RDL seats given the details Greyfox offered.

However, I have been somewhat surprised by the backlash against Russell since the original post was made, and how many other members have changed their minds about ordering what was considered a premium and respected product prior to this (from what I can tell) singular incident. I certainly understand supporting a friend or forum member who has been wronged in pursuance of a purchase or warranty matter, but again....the overall feedback and references on this company and product were overwhelmingly positive prior to (not counting those who did not like the seat purely on aesthetics).

So...my question is....have any other members here had poor experiences with RDL or their products over the past few years? I am still interested in a seat, as I have tried Corbins, Mustangs, etc on other bikes and found them very similar to stock seats and have no interest in putting another Corbin on my Rocket.

I am not attempting to downplay the negative transaction Greyfox had with RDL by any means, but I do want to give RDL the same latitude that I give Greyfox considering what appears to be a stellar record and product.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Back