Rocket 3 Touring VS. Valkyrie Tourer

Loby6

Standard Bore
My brother and I both own Valkyries, He purchased a 2008 R3T cream puff with 1500 miles a couple weeks ago. When we ride together It always ends up to be a race. I did some research on this site and found that the R3T has a 120 MPH speed limiter. So I expected to win on the top end since I've had my Valkyrie up to 130 MPH several times. What really surprized us both is while starting from a 10 MPH kick down my Valkyrie Tourer pulled further ahead of the R3T in every gear. Needless to say he felt bad and strangly enough so did I. He talked about trading it in a few years for something faster.
I know the R3T is a detuned version of the R3 and the Valkyrie is no match for the R3. He needed the hard bags and windshield and preferred the looks of the R3T but needs the power of the R3. So my question is what Mods can we do to the R3T to get it up to speed without spending a fortune. I know new exhaust is going to be on top of the list so what aftermarket exhaust is the best ? Air cleaner ? ect...
When his R3T spanks my Valkyrie I'll be interested in getting one too.
Thanks in advance

- Remove the secondaries to get full power in all gears, or buy Tuneboy and change your maps.
- Then you'll need tuneboy (or the Gi*** they've been discussing in another thread) to move the the electronic speed limiter to a higher value.

On that note, I'd be careful monkeying with the speed limiter on the tourer. Your model wasn't built to go fast.

I have a full-power standard and it'll run... but when I have my hardbags on, it gets squirrely over 100. I know that others have experienced this condition. You may find that you have the same problem with the hardbags on your tourer.

I'd hate to read about you in the obits...

Finaly a comparo that makes sence:cool:

Well 6 banger vs a 3 banger whats there to feel bad about? unless I'm missing something.

First of all, I am surprised to hear that a Valk will walk away from a R3T. I sold my Valk Interstate to buy the Rocket 3 Classic. There is night and day difference in my Rocket and my Valk. My son had his Valk and a friend I ride with has a Valk and they can't hold a candle to my Rocket and all it has is Jardine exhaust.
Secondly, as you can see from the picture that my bike is loaded out with hard bags and a fairing and I have seen 130 mph or so on the speedo and have riding over 30 miles at speeds of over 110 mph.
I have put a Corbin seat with back rest, throttle lock and highway pegs on and have recently returned from a long weekend over in Arkansas where we rode over 1300 miles with out any problems what so ever.
I can tell you this, that short of a Boss Hoss with bags, "THERE IS NOT" another cruiser/bagger out there that will come close to hanging with my Rocket. And its mostly stock. Just think about the guys out there that have removed the secondaries and installed a PC III or a Tuneboy etc, etc..... that will blow the doors off my bike.
IMO the R3T looks like a warmed over Road King, just bigger. I'm sure they have there place and there is a market for that bike but they aren't for me.
I "HAD" to sell my Boss Hoss in 07 and tried the Valk and they are a truely GREAT bike, but not compared to a Rocket.
Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:
The R3T is speed limited due to the H rated tires, not the configuration. The tune is quite restrictive compared to the Standard/Classic versions. As mentioned, some exhaust/intake work and a Tuneboy will restore the lost power, let you raise the speed limiter to 130 and should be more than enough to vanquish those pesky Valks.

Not to mention the heat and comfort

I had three valkyries and the last one had cobras, carbs rejetted, trigger wheel, and aftermarket air filter and it would not hold a candle to my R3T which has the louder less restrictive Triumph pipes and new tune. The R3T handles better without down shifting and there is not half as much engine heat in mid summer.

Finally there is no comparison in riding postion.:D

Its interesting how many people I run across who think the R3T is the same as the Classic and standard and expect the same performance out of them. I try to explain to them that its like having a 454 in a truck and a corvette, yes they are the same engine but tuned for different purposes. At least the R3T can be massaged to get more out of it, but it just was not made for speed, its a tractor with a couch. Sounds like your Bro should have gone with the R3 Classic.
There are lots of things you can do to pump up the volume so it performs more like an R3, all of them can be found right here on this web site. Just be sure you know what you are getting into, the Touring model was not designed for the extra speed and performance, hence the H rated tires.
Be careful, don't get yourself hurt.

And that brings up the question can you buy a higher speed rated tires for the R3T to overcome that "little" problem.

Dennis

48 (?) dtg Dubai/Kuwait (?)
49 (?) dtg Home

And that brings up the question can you buy a higher speed rated tires for the R3T to overcome that "little" problem.

Dennis

48 (?) dtg Dubai/Kuwait (?)
49 (?) dtg Home

Last time I checked there were no higher rated tires available in the size needed for the R3T.

Back