Yea I'm an old guy that really does not want to listen to the sucking sound of the triples. GPMAZ and I have had several phone discussions about that. I think and I could be wrong, I will be keeping the stock intake system on the bike. So far with the D&D mufflers and the TORS download, the bike runs great. I only hope allowing a bit more air in does not cause it to go lean. I do a lot of long trips and the fuel mileage is marginal at best now. Adding more fuel will really make it expensive to ride compared to my Harley I traded in on it. Some of the lonely roads I ride have very few gas stations. :eek:

Test ride

Okay. I rode the bike about twenty miles today. Too hot for any more! The bike seems to respond better, crisper, during acceleration. Power gain? I'm not sure. Lean condition now. Defiantly not! Although I'm sure the bike could use more fuel and timing than the TORS download gives it. But for me it's a balancing act. If I do a Tune-boy or Tune-ecu download, I'm sure my mileage will go down. I don't want that! Besides, except for the D&D's, it's all Triumph like I wanted. :D

So should you do the mod on your bike? I would. If you live in an area with a lot of Mice, Rats, Etc., I would put a screen on the bottom hole to keep them out. Just my two cents! ;)

On another note, I like being able to use regular fuel, but I think the engine should be at 9:5 to one compression ratio. I believe that would wake it up. Someone call Triumph and let them know.:rolleyes:

That's just it with the "TOR's tune", all it does is close off the secondaries rather than increase fuel delivery or advance timing. That $65 could be better used toward buying a PCIII or triples.

You can drill holes and make openings all over the intake air plenum but it won't increase air flow to the engine because the lower set of throttle plates are computer controlled and don't directly respond to rider input. Triumph's TOR's tune richens the fuel/air ratio by restricting air flow rather than increasing fuel.

I know it doesn't make sense, I didn't believe it either until I had the bike apart and rode it while watching them operate. The plates lag behind the throttle and partially close to limit air intake. If you really want snappy throttle response and more power, remove the secondary throttle plates and install a GiPro. The bug will grab hold of you after that and resistance to triples and a power commander will be futile. And everyone knows that's the gateway drug to the darkside. LOL

The Ol Muleskinner's secondary plates are living a happy life on his garage shelf.

I give him big credit for daring to go where few have gone before. Nothing like a little old fashioned hot rod ingenuity.

It shouldn't run any hotter. One of the first intake mods for the R3 "back in the day" was putting a K&N under the gas tank. I put several thousand miles on my bike with this set up with no issues.

Does the crankcase vent into the air box on the R3T like the R3?

The Ol Muleskinner's secondary plates are living a happy life on his garage shelf.

I give him big credit for daring to go where few have gone before. Nothing like a little old fashioned hot rod ingenuity.
So then the TOR tune did nothing. Removing the plates and installing freeflow exhaust has most likely leaned the bike some, freeing up the intake air will most definitely lean it further.
Cutting holes in the air cleaner box would make little difference since it's the narrowest point and the bends in the rest of the system that make for low pressure.
If it's a lean condition he's concerned about, it's doubtful he's made enough change to cause a problem. If it's performance he's after, well ... there are better methods to the madness. A K&N undertank filter for instance ... that would eliminate one of the worst and most restricting bends in the system while still keeping the intake quiet. Adding something like that to a bike with TOR's will for sure require a remapping of the fuel to avoid it being too lean, but would also insure an easier/better breathing motor.

Pig's photo shows what I'm referring too, it's easy, quiet, cheap and breathes very well.

That filter box under the seat is such a valuable storage space on a bike that has no internal space at all factory, that I cringe just thinking about cutting holes in it.

So then the TOR tune did nothing. Removing the plates and installing freeflow exhaust has most likely leaned the bike some, freeing up the intake air will most definitely lean it further.
Cutting holes in the air cleaner box would make little difference since it's the narrowest point and the bends in the rest of the system that make for low pressure.
If it's a lean condition he's concerned about, it's doubtful he's made enough change to cause a problem. If it's performance he's after, well ... there are better methods to the madness. A K&N undertank filter for instance ... that would eliminate one of the worst and most restricting bends in the system while still keeping the intake quiet. Adding something like that to a bike with TOR's will for sure require a remapping of the fuel to avoid it being too lean, but would also insure an easier/better breathing motor.

Pig's photo shows what I'm referring too, it's easy, quiet, cheap and breathes very well.

That filter box under the seat is such a valuable storage space on a bike that has no internal space at all factory, that I cringe just thinking about cutting holes in it.

Are you sure about the TORS tune for the R3T? I guess I could open up TuneBoy and check for sure.

As for the storage, not a big deal. The R3T seat bolts on. Not exactly easy access to the little bit of storage. Remember, we have saddlebags.

Something is a miss here if what Hellfire says is true. I pulled my secondaries with my stock pipes on and felt an increase in throttle response. Then I installed GPMAZ's D&D mufflers and really felt an increase in power.

I then rode the bike to the Triumph dealer 50 miles away in San Bernardino, CA, who charged me $25.00 to download the TORS tune.

I then rode the bike over the Big Bear, CA mountains and home. About 100 miles. Immediately after leaving the dealer I could feel the bike had better throttle response and more power. The drivability was far and away better than what it was on the way to the dealer.

So in closing, the TORS tune must add fuel and timing. There is no other explanation for the increase in performance. :confused:

Back when I was working with Wayne from Tuneboy I converted the stock tune and the TORS tune for the R3T to Excel spreadsheets for comparison.

While is a few of the cells the TORS tune does reduce fuel, in the majority of cells the fuel numbers are higher in the TORS tune than in the stock tune.

Edited to add:

I was looking at the L tables. The F tables, which are used predominately, are considerably higher in all cells on the TORS tune. You're definitely getting more fuel with the TORS tune.

Makes sense, but you are loosing me with "F" tables and "L" tables. I'm an old carburetor guy remember.;)

Oh and yea, we have saddle bags. We don't need under the seat compartments for storage. :D

Back