muleskinner

Turbocharged
Here is an idea I had for the stock touring air box. I got the idea from a guy named "Turbo Tom" who has a performance bike shop in Orange County, CA. He did the same thing for the Honda ST1300 and everyone who did it claimed a power increase.

Our air filters have the same size opening at the top and bottom. The bottom sits on the bottom of the air box with no opening. I pulled the air filter out and found there is a raised ridge to seal the foam ring on either end of the filter at the bottom of the box. In the middle is a flat surface with a drain tube.

I took my flashlight and looked under the bike to find the bottom of the air box sits above the starter unobstructed. So, using a 2 1/2" hole saw, I made two holes in the bottom of the air box between the hole on the bottom of the air filter. One at each end. I then took a hot knife and trimmed the middle section between the holes out, creating a perfect match for the bottom of the air filter opening. The raised edge still seals the bottom of the air filter, but I now have an air inlet at the bottom that is the same size as the air inlet at the top. This has to add air flow to the bike. I have included some pictures for reference.

Attachments

• P8280002.jpg
    P8280002.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 407
  • P8280003.jpg
    P8280003.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 471
it would be interesting to see what that did for the A/F mixture numbers before and after. Could block off the hole with tape for the before numbers, then remove it for the after.

You have aroused my curiosity, I would like to see what the affects really are. My main concern would be that it would let in hot air off of the motor instead of cool air out from under the seat it does look like a very good idea any time you can get better air flow it is great.

That just makes it less useful for storage when you get around to installing triple filters.
Hellfire glad to see you have made it through the storm and got your power on quickly hope it didn't do you much damage, I like the triples idea but I enjoy my XM radio running down the interstate and triples are just too noisy I guess I'm getting too old I have put on lower stops the wind turbulence and extra noise also I can wear my hat and 70 mph I love to see people's faces when I pass them with a hat on :D

Never even had the lights blink once.
Some neighbors had a few branches in their yard but they never take care of their trees. The only twigs in mine were from other yards.
The sidewalk and half the street looked like whitewater rapids for a time but that was the extent of it here.

Triples aren't all that loud, but they do make strange noises that are best covered up by loud exhaust. Sometimes I do miss a quiet bike, I can see a big Honda Interstate in my future when the noise finally gets to me.

kinda bummed about not getting to use the generator yet again .... LOL

I thought about the heat issue, but let's face it, there ain't much cool air under the seat. :( The air going under the engine at speed will most likely be cooler than the air under the seat. Heat rises and the air under the seat comes from the engine area anyway.

I have yet to ride it, as I washed it this morning and it's 100 degrees right now. I will wax it tonight and then take a ride tomorrow if it cools off. I will then report back how it runs. I know one thing, when I was on the ST1300 forums, EVERYONE that made the mod stated their ass dyno felt more power.

I have that Eco route system (GPS) added to my R3T and it indicates the inlet air temp on my Rocket is about 127F. It would be intresting to see what the change in temp would be if any with this mod.

Yes it would be interesting to see if it makes any difference in air box temp. Due to the design constraints of the bike, Triumph was unable to put an air box inlet on the front of the bike like most bikes. But, hot or cold, I think allowing more air to enter the air box can't be a bad thing.

I have that Eco route system (GPS) added to my R3T and it indicates the inlet air temp on my Rocket is about 127F. It would be intresting to see what the change in temp would be if any with this mod.

I also use the eco route with triple k&n's and cut bear claw intake temp between 90-100 usually when fully warmed up.:D

Also now you will have a big hole in your glove box like Hellfire said.:eek:

Back