NEED HELP - SPLUTTERING

Rango

Rocket addicted
Ride
2005 Classic
Hi Guys,

Dropped my bike at walking speed, very gently, no damage when I pulled off a country road with no edge. Stupidly I touched the front brake and slid in the mud and the bike fell over to the RHS. Myself and 3 guys dragged it out of the grass about 2 meters and all good - started up 1st crank and off we went.

Problem
Above about 3000 revs or as soon as I open her up, she splutters and farts with no power. Tap off the twist grip and she runs fine again.

Solution
Could the plugs be fowled from oil when I dropped the bike and now she's able to fire at low revs and then they break down and perhaps only fire every 3rd or 4th time when under load?

PLEASE HELP

Check the simple things like the low tension leads on the coils - clean & tight, spark plug leads, vacuum hoses, etc. It could also be a fuel starvation problem. You may have sucked some crud into the fuel filter, partially blocking it. This could cause fuel starvation when the throttle is opened and at higher revs.

Check the simple things like the low tension leads on the coils - clean & tight, spark plug leads, vacuum hoses, etc. It could also be a fuel starvation problem. You may have sucked some crud into the fuel filter, partially blocking it. This could cause fuel starvation when the throttle is opened and at higher revs.

Thank you idk

I'll check your suggestions immediately.

Can I clean the fuel filter or do I buy a new one?

A new OEM Triumph one will set you back about $55 in the USA, hate to think what it would cost in OZ. However, you can pick up aftermarket ones in your local Auto Parts store, probably from about $8-10. You may be able to back-flush and clean it, but for $10, get a new one.

Tomcat and idk,

Thanks so much guys for taking the time and trouble to help me out. FIXED, FIXED, FIXED.

As per your suggestion idk, I bought a new aftermarket fuel filter $11.00 and fitted it this morning. Easy job, only took a couple of hours. The bike runs "sweet as" all the way through the gears, full throttle and revs.

Thanks soooooooo much.

probably had stuff on the bottom of the tank and when it went over it stirred it up and the filter picked it up.

Back