2023 R3 GT Trying to dress out for long Haul rides >> HELP !!!

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
I got my new R# the day before Valentine's Day. My windshield came in yesterday from Poleland and looks great, plus good height. The owner said he was going to try and design some crash bars. I'll keep you informed Also found a complete shop manual on eBay. It was a bit over $200, but the dealer wants $400+ for the break-in service. I have been doing over 90% of my service since 1961. Because of our crazy weather, I have not gotten too many miles on it yet. Did find out that it is pretty stable with 30+ MPH side wind on I-40.
After a lot of internet searching for saddlebags ( Cases) & mounts, I came across Motor Machines. The man I talked to was nice and not pushy. They handle Hebco Becker leather saddle bags & rigid side cases. They have a " C ". Now comes my dilemma. The rear molding just under the seat appears to be a stopping point. I also have seen another brand out.
Here are my dumbass questions. #1 What is the best / preferred mounting system that is strong & reliable? #2 How big in liters are your side cases? The dealer only has 16-liter side bags. Not much for a trip & rain suit.
Anyhow I would appreciate any input . Thanks in advance Russ in OKC

Hi Russ, funny, we both picked up our new rockets on the same day, congrats!!

I’ve been doing some digging as well. I read the installation instructions for both the Oem saddle bags, and for the Hepco & Becker ones. With the oem, you get a new splash guard for the underside of the tail section, while the H&B provide instructions for drilling the mount holes, and grommets for a secure seal. Depending on you comfort level, the H&B solution looks diy friendly.

Both look strong, and with the H&B, you get the flexibility of different size bags you might choose. Personally I have no experience with H&B, and my research wasn’t actually for saddle bags. I’ve used Ventura Evo racks for years on my different bike, and they do not have a adapter kit for the 2020+ rockets yet, so I was curious how saddle bags were being installed, and if there’s an opportunity to use Ventura rack in the same manner.

Someone else might be able to give you real world experience, but I wanted to at least share that the H&B mounts are using the same location as the factory bags. Hope that helps!

Hi Russ, funny, we both picked up our new rockets on the same day, congrats!!

I’ve been doing some digging as well. I read the installation instructions for both the Oem saddle bags, and for the Hepco & Becker ones. With the oem, you get a new splash guard for the underside of the tail section, while the H&B provide instructions for drilling the mount holes, and grommets for a secure seal. Depending on you comfort level, the H&B solution looks diy friendly.

Both look strong, and with the H&B, you get the flexibility of different size bags you might choose. Personally I have no experience with H&B, and my research wasn’t actually for saddle bags. I’ve used Ventura Evo racks for years on my different bike, and they do not have a adapter kit for the 2020+ rockets yet, so I was curious how saddle bags were being installed, and if there’s an opportunity to use Ventura rack in the same manner.

Someone else might be able to give you real world experience, but I wanted to at least share that the H&B mounts are using the same location as the factory bags. Hope that helps!
Thanks. The bags I saw at the dealer were 16 liters each. not much room for anything. There is a mounting system by Clevland

Thanks. The bags I saw at the dealer were 16 liters each. not much room for anything. There is a mounting system by Clevland
Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the H&B for a couple of reasons. First they have been in the bussiness for a lot of years with a good word of mouth between bikers. Next I prefer ridgid bags. less chance of water leaks. plus if you do go down they can provide some protection from the full weight of the bike on you. If I wanted to get leather bags we have a place here in town called "Big Daddy's" Motorcycle leather. Price is cheap , but nothing I would trust .
BTW I took my bike out for a ride this afternoon. Found something I don't like. It id the front pegs. The ruberized plastic inserts . Had and replaced this type on other bikes. Be easy to slip off of with damp shoe soles. I will normaly replace with a off road style. looks like a saw tooth pattern. Have gone through many of a storm , w/o my foot slipping after hitting a bump.

Back