ksquared

"O Captain, My Captain"
Ride
2008 Red/Black R3T
I know that R3T transmission problems have been discussed here before, But I haven't found exactly the problem I'm having - perhaps my search is flawed. However, I'm looking for help. so please bear with me.

I have an 08 R3T with ~34,000 miles on the clock. No prior transmission or mechanical problems of any significance. Just recently completed a 30K service. Garage kept - always maintained by the book. Clutch is original, but has always engaged smoothly and linearly, with good take-up. Free play is set per factory spec.

Today, I took the bike out for a ride. When I reached a destination about 7 miles away, I noted that when I parked, the neutral light was off, the kickstand interlock was killing the motor, however, when I let the clutch out the bike didn't move and the engine revved as if it were in neutral. A few more kicks at the gear lever and I finally got it to neutral with the light on. At this point, the stand interlock didn't kill the engine, so it appeared that everything was normal.

After about an hour, I left this first destination with some friends. I was able to put the bike in 1st gear and ride off. However, almost immediately, the bike began jumping out of gear. Upshifting was more or less normal, but downshifting, there were several "voids" before engaging the next lower gear; in other words, to downshift from 4th to first I might have to step on the lever 6 or 7 times. After pulling away from a light - the bike jumped out of 1st and out of 2nd about 50% of the time.

I left my group ride and limped home. When I was decelerating on an off ramp from the Florida Turnpike, I was in 3rd gear and the bike kept jumping out of that gear.

The operation of the clutch seemed normal at all times.

This describes the problem pretty well. Any suggestions? I'd like to have some "ammunition" before I go into my dealer for repairs, so I can judge what it is they're saying I should do.

Thanks guys. I appreciate any assistance you can provide. If you need more information - just post your question(s) and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

If was me I'd trade it in, life's to short and you need to enjoy yourself. Does sound like the trans dogs. Good luck. It's only money and you can't take it with you!!

It could be just a broken detent spring, which can be confirmed visually by draining the oil and viewing through the front cover. That's about a 2 hour procedure, which sure beats the 16-20+ hour job to crack open the motor.

I'd make certain that Scott (Warp 9.9) sees your write-up in order to confirm the suspected fault. The description you provided closely matched the symptoms I had when my detent spring broke. BTW, my local dealer fought me tooth and nail about the diagnosis, as they were insistent that they had to remove and crack open my engine to make the repair. They were dead wrong!!! Detent spring repair and replacement is, tops, a 3-4 hour job.

Last edited:
This really doesn't sound like the second gear dawg issue. That only really occurred when a load was put on the bike, and really only happened in second gear unless it had been slipped so many times it started wearing out the primary teeth.
It sounds more to me like the detent spring issue (and a much cheaper/easier fix). I'm not sure what's included in the 30k maintenance, they could have also left out a flanged washer or something causing the gears to slide/be loose on the shaft if they were in there for any reason?
While it could be the gear dawgs I wouldn't guess that first. That said, I'm sure one of the more veteran rocket doctors will come along soon with a more sure answer.

Sounds like good news @ksquared, I'll be heading down To the keys Thursday if you need a hand fixing it! I could swing by. I'm good at taking stuff apart but your on your own putting it back together! Lol

Sounds like good news @ksquared, I'll be heading down To the keys Thursday if you need a hand fixing it! I could swing by. I'm good at taking stuff apart but your on your own putting it back together! Lol
Well, the bike's going into the shop on Saturday, so I'll soon have the definitive answer. When I called my tech, he agreed that it sounded like the detent spring. Let's hope he (like most of you) is right. I'll post when I know.

BTW, I'm going to have the bike trucked over to rhe dealer, rather than riding it there, in order ro eliminate the possibility of further damage. Y'all think that's a good idea? It's a distance of about 10 miles and the tow will be free, since I have AMA roadside assistance with my membership (which I HIGHLY recommend).

Back