Gonna tune him up! (Will it stay together)

Will it hold?

• Total voters
It was stock timing, after putting it together my self and riding like a fool for 3000 miles and surviving on the dyno for two days and coming apart at 7000rpm im ok, best time of my life. The static compression being high may not have caused this, there is no signs of detonation in the other 2 cylinders, they look great. This is probably mechanical as the valves snapped off and beat the piston up, it didnt melt, i had the exhaust valves too tight i can almost guarantee it. Even though i failed, I learned and im fixing to put together a very strong motor thats gonna survive the dyno and be a hoot to pilot.
I wouldn't assume blame so easy, lasted 3,000 miles, and you know dyno 's are brutal, look for something mechanical. Sorry this happened to you, can't control everything, just what you can control. Assemble the best you can, with best parts you can afford, and twist your wrist.

Kevin, did you note the thickness of the shims in that hole? We're they both still in place atop the tappets?

Thing is, if it was doing 160/160 and made it 3k miles, it was running ok so everything had to have been close to correct at least. Since the other holes looked good, likely not knock/preignition.

One possibility:
If it spit a shim it would cause a violent beating to the valve and may have led to a snapped off valve head.

Kevin, did you note the thickness of the shims in that hole? We're they both still in place atop the tappets?

Thing is, if it was doing 160/160 and made it 3k miles, it was running ok so everything had to have been close to correct at least. Since the other holes looked good, likely not knock/preignition.

One possibility:
If it spit a shim it would cause a violent beating to the valve and may have led to a snapped off valve head.
yes i did note those shims as i had to buy some thinner, they were in place and springs and all on top was still locked down. Just the 2 snapped of exhaust valves, I will inspect that shim closer. Konrad felt engine was good after the beating he applied the day before.

Becoming more obvious 😔Its not cracked but its the only one with an hour glass mark. Id say it even further points to a tight valve.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 18
Tight or really loose, will get the same result in the end, but I suspect it was too loose.

Aluminum engines see clearances grow with heat, not shrink, the head expands faster than the valve. This would be consistent with a failure over time. As the clearance grows and the clearance ramp on the cam is never engaged because of too much clearance, the valve gets slammed against the seat instead of set down against the seat.

This would show as a good running engine right up until the head pops off the valve. It was, in fact, used as a trick for qualifying engines in NASCAR, but only in quals due to the abuse to the valves.

Too tight shouldn't cause any catastrophic issues unless it's zero clearance, at which point you should see weird AFR anomalies on the wideband, rough as hell idle, and poor power. Would've also been smokey out the tail pipe.

There's so much piston to valve clearance it's a null chance your adjustment was off enough to cause a collision with cam timing correct.

Last edited:
Back