Well it finally arrived

golly

.040 Over
Ride
R3R 2020
Finally picked up my new red 3R a week ago, despite the virus and the lockdowns. Was too busy getting to the first service to bother posting here. But I'm a bit of a lazy git anyway when it comes to posting. To give you some background, I traded in a Yamaha FZ1 against this, and before that I had a CB1300, ZRX1200 ( x 2), a BMW F800ST, a Yamaha MT-01, and one or two other naked bikes.

After 600 miles (or 1000kms) on the 3R, I like the seat height (suits my 29" inside leg), the bar stance is a little more spread out and forward then the Fazer but I'm getting used to it, the brakes are great (not "breaks" please), the power is lovely but I haven't really stretched its legs yet, and I am really getting into the handling of this in a way I didn't expect. I jacked up the pre-load as suggested on another thread and that seems to improve turn-in, although I notice that it under-steers in the bends unless I pay attention, unlike the Fazer, i.e. after the initial turn-in you need to keep counter-steering to stay on your line. I do love the look of it and I do love its presence, which are some of the key reasons why I splashed out so much money on it. I could have gone for a Diavel, or maybe a Kawa Z H2 but I couldn't manage that much performance, and I can't stand the look of the VMAX. The 3R is a little "lumpy" up to 2500 rpm, but I think this is just that you can feel the individual cylinders firing more then anything else (I was spoiled by inline 4's). I've had the luggage rack and sissy bar fitted as I do want to strap a bag to the back seat for touring, and also because I don't like the chopped-off arse look that is in fashion these days. The lack of of a windscreen doesn't bother me as I have struggled to find one that didn't cause noise or buffetting, so I'll just wear more layers. You don't notice the weight when moving, but you really notice the weight when moving it around.
I never had a "cruiser" before, and to be honest I'm not sure that the 3R is really in the cruiser category at all. I'm not really a fast aggressive rider but I do like to make progress now and again, and the 3R is ticking all the boxes so far (and it's not even fully run-in yet).

Overall I am more then happy with it.
(I'm really only posting this as I want to see the Ireland flag in the thread board 😁😁😁)

Congrats dude I am jealous. This is the first Rocket 3 I've heard of on the island. You must let me have a spin on it some day. How's Stevie? :)

AWESOME and CONGRATS! ...and, according to Triumph, you're correct... she's not a cruiser... more like a beefed up Speed Triple on steroids... Which is why when I'm able to get one (probably a 2022 model) she will be nestled next to my R3T.
-MIG

Nice write up. It is an odd bike and doesn’t fit into a category. Rockets are very unique bikes. The riders are something else too.;)

Cheers Dr. D. I enjoyed all your write-ups on the TFC. I don't think I'll be able to find the top speed as my arms are not strong enough, but eventually I might give it a try. 😉

Back