Washing precautions

Agrad

Standard Bore
The owners handbook says before cleaning the Rocket 3…
  • Cover rear opening of the exhausts with a plastic bag secured with rubber bands.
  • Cover clutch and brake levers, switch housings on the handlebar with plastic bags.
  • Cover ignition switch and steering lock keyhole with tape.
I’ve also seen someone mention about covering the air intake.

I never covered anything up when washing any other bike. Are these items not waterproof? What happens when it rains, will the switches etc fail? Will water get into the air intake if riding in driving rain? Surely not.. Is Triumph just being over cautious?

The owners handbook says before cleaning the Rocket 3…
  • Cover rear opening of the exhausts with a plastic bag secured with rubber bands.
  • Cover clutch and brake levers, switch housings on the handlebar with plastic bags.
  • Cover ignition switch and steering lock keyhole with tape.
I’ve also seen someone mention about covering the air intake.

I never covered anything up when washing any other bike. Are these items not waterproof? What happens when it rains, will the switches etc fail? Will water get into the air intake if riding in driving rain? Surely not.. Is Triumph just being over cautious?
I think it probably just a precaution against strong hose etc...

Kinda strange but I never take a hose or power sprayer to any of my rides and I suspect it is for those who do. Rain is normally coming down or at an angle... but with a hose water can come from all angles; including bottom up. Just my thoughts... still not a fan of the idea though. Sounds like a way to keep the lawyers out of it...'
-MIG

I've only washed my bikes with water couple of times over past 13 years of riding, mostly after a post-snow ride with possible salt on the roads, just to rinse wheels and bottom of bike to prevent corrosion.
Otherwise I've always used the waterless cleaning (Original Spirits) to clean the bikes. They've always looked clean and they never complained.

Probably Triumph is being overly cautious but i've heard and personally had electrical issues (possibly after a rinse) with water seeping into ignition parts etc and inviting gremlins.
So best to avoid it or cover those components.
We've already seen that quality control on these bike is absolute sh!t so why count on it? JMO.

I've only washed my bikes with water couple of times over past 13 years of riding, mostly after a post-snow ride with possible salt on the roads, just to rinse wheels and bottom of bike to prevent corrosion.
Otherwise I've always used the waterless cleaning (Original Spirits) to clean the bikes. They've always looked clean and they never complained.

Probably Triumph is being overly cautious but i've heard and personally had electrical issues (possibly after a rinse) with water seeping into ignition parts etc and inviting gremlins.
So best to avoid it or cover those components.
We've already seen that quality control on these bike is absolute sh!t so why count on it? JMO.
Ha! Excellent points. Maybe just a spray of deodorant will suffice in lieu of washing.:cool:

Never had any issues washing mine with a (on low) pressure washer. I dry with a towel and leaf blower.

That said, I think that I'm going to spray and wipe in the future and avoid using water.