Speedometer frustrations

PlainfieldR3

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hoping to get some guidance here!
2005 Rocket III Speedometer won't sweep, only works when it feels like it. From what I have read, I need a new speedo, but they're obsolete from Triumph. Have any of you installed an aftermarket gauge cluster? Any instructions on how to install? I've called numerous dealers trying to find a service guy that has done one, but they all tell me "good luck" and send me on my way.

Hoping to get some guidance here!
2005 Rocket III Speedometer won't sweep, only works when it feels like it. From what I have read, I need a new speedo, but they're obsolete from Triumph. Have any of you installed an aftermarket gauge cluster? Any instructions on how to install? I've called numerous dealers trying to find a service guy that has done one, but they all tell me "good luck" and send me on my way.
i think that there has been a couple of guys thaat has posted about it you might use the search feature to see what you can find or someone might be able to post a link.
hth
also you might go to the introduce your self forum and tell us about yourself..

I have a Garmin that uses the ecoleaf (I think thats what it's called) Bluetooth unit that connects directly to the ODBII connector and connects through Bluetooth to the Garmin unit. it pulls telemetry from computer, and has multiple gauges that you can display at once on the screen. since my touring was from Merca, the speedo was in MPH, and since I'm in the land of the Canadian Cobra Chicken, I needed a speedo in metric, so on the Garmin, I show speed in KMH, RPM, Coolant temp, Voltage, and engine load in %, you can only have 5 at time on display, but there are other options to display as well, such as air intake temp, and a couple of others don't really use. works well, but there are only a few older Garmin models that use the Bluetooth module, so sometimes you have to go hunting for the units.

Has anybody tried one of these OBD2 connected speedos: ? It seems like every option recommended is obsolete. The Garmin Mechanic is discontinued, sites that list them available seem shady and to go that route I'm looking at like $600, the OBD2 connected speedo in the link is under $50.

I installed a GPS speedo/odometer gauge about a year ago when my odometer stopped working. It is primarily intended for mounting in the dash of a boat but it is too big to mount on my bars and doesn’t come with a mounting bracket but it fits nicely in my empty air filter box. When I need to know what my mileage is I just need to remove my seat to read the odometer.

This was fine until my Speedo stopped working a few months ago. I found another GPS gauge on Amazon that has many bike related functions and it is only 2” in diameter. I finished installing it today on my bars after making a housing for it. If anyone is interested I can post pictures and more details about the gauge. A great feature about this gauge is the ability to set the odometer for whatever starting mileage you want. In my case the odo took a dump at 30,500. After adding the 2130 miles on the odo under my seat I set the starting mileage on the new gauge for 32,630. If the other functions on my gauges start dying I can connect the numerous wires provided in the new gauge to my bike, provided I can figure out where to make the connections.

Link to gauge on Amazon: Amazon.com

Attachments

• IMG_5410.jpeg
    IMG_5410.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5419.jpeg
    IMG_5419.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Oddly have a guy here in NZ been discussing the same issue with as I have swapped out my gauges a while back. Here's a cut and paste of the email, I used a Dakota Digital display.

I have replaced the gauges on my 05 Rocket with above instrument cluster (above the Dynojet controller). They are made in the state and do a full range of custom gauges for bikes and cars. Basically they are programmable so you set them up for your specific vehicle. Takes time and you need to wire them also. This requires a plug to go into the OEM loom that is easily available from overseas suppliers like cycle terminal Motorcycle Terminals, Connectors, and Wiring Accessories but Ali Express probably has just as good to be fair.

Not sure of your level of skillset with this type of stuff? You’ll need a multimeter, proper crimper for the plug connectors, good wire strippers, heat shrink and a heat gun. Being handy with a soldering iron is also useful.

The instrument cluster in the image is from Dakota Digital US but is no longer available. Also attached is the wiring diagram. I cannot recall the model number now but think it was a 7000 by the wiring attached, a mate color coded this to my R3 loom which made it much easier but I have a full colored wiring diagram if you need it. However the following looks similar.

MLX-9000 Series Universal Gauge

The instrument does more than the std gauges, it has a clock to start, but more importantly shows battery voltage, this saved my ass when I fitted a better type of regulator rectifier to protect the alternator and didn’t plug it in properly. Only thing I don’t have wired is the neutral indicator and I cannot recall why not. The gear position will not work as the R3 doesn’t detect each gear unfortunately.

You cannot use a data bus or CAN bus speedo for the old R3’s. I toyed with the idea of importing a generic gauge cluster from China to set up but this is good quality and had been done before so was a sure thing. If I had to do this again I would go for the MLX-9000 Oval unit and make it work.
20200509_145144.jpg
Dakotawiring-1.jpg

Back