moharet

Standard Bore
Hello fellow R3owners, I used to own a triumph America until my recent purchase of a 06 cardinal red R3. My first day of riding it I could not even get out of the gas station because so many people coming up to it and asking so many questions about it. When I finally got on the road the power that I felt under me and the comfort of the ride can only be appreciated by my fellow R3 owners. I have a question about the fuel gauge that can be purchased and put on but how accurate is it? If anyone out there has put one on can you let me know how it is? Thanks and safe riding.

If anyone has an answer about the gas gauge and also about the oil temp gauge I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks Moharet

Welcome Moharet,

The Triumph fuel gage is only as accurate as the idiot light cuz it uses the idiot lights in tank set-up.

Some here thought the oil temp gage was lame cuz you have to bend over to see it.....not too practical if you want to check it while cruising. To me it's more of a doo-dad than a functional add-on. :) It does look kewl though!:cool:

Take note that the idiot light set up is only for idiots to remind you that you will need fuel sometime soon.

I've reset mine to come on when just under a 1/4 of a tank of fuel if left, this envolved removal of the complete assembly from the tank and alteration to the unit - I can give no advice on doing this as it envolves resealing of the fuel tank - situated above a hot engine.

However most of you would I expect stick to the proven method of using the trip gague, zero in when you fuel up and keep an eye on how many miles you've done, its that easy.

Me I use both - never run out yet, but been very close in Sweden last year with 206 miles between fuel stops.

I've reset mine to come on when just under a 1/4 of a tank of fuel if left, this envolved removal of the complete assembly from the tank and alteration to the unit - I can give no advice on doing this as it envolves resealing of the fuel tank - situated above a hot engine.

Yes a couple of fellows have successfully done same. I have a plan to bend the gage float from the top using some tools made for small opening. Wish me luck....:) :D

Welcome moharet!! JUNE04R3OWNERUK gives some good advice. I also think the oil temp guage is just a do dah fwiw. The bike is water cooled, oil temp isn't going to tell you a lot...

Hondax... will you video tape yourself digging around in your gas tank?? I would like to see that :D:D

Hondax... will you video tape yourself digging around in your gas tank?? I would like to see that

Just to make it challenging, I'm doing it with a full tank.......while smoking a cigar.:D

Warning: Do not attempt this at home, serious injury or death could result. Always consult a professional before working with any flammable products while smoking!

Last edited:
I did run out of gas once, had 202 miles on the tank, but had done a lot of hard driving. Was almost into town when it started sputtering. Wobbled the bike side to side to slosh the gas around and made it almost a half mile further before she died, but managed to coast into a gas station!

Back