Hi . New to the forum. Currently Rocketless.

Oh Dear !

Standard Bore
Ride
2021 Indian Scout Bobber
Hi Everyone,

I don't have a Rocket III (yet) but I am absolutely fascinated with them. I only got my licence last year, at the age of 56 (I did ride when I was younger but only 125ccs), and I've been riding my Indian Scout Bobber since then, done about 3500miles and I really enjoy it, but I'm feeling the need for something else, something less aggressive on my back, and something to do distance on. But fun, powerful and looks the dogs!

I've booked a test ride on an RIII R next week (couldn't get a GT locally, which is currently my preferred choice based on reviews Ive watched/read). The dealer seemed impressed I'd jumped straight on the Indian from the training bikes, and said to just stick it in Rain Mode to start with and take it for a spin. Who was I to argue, so I booked.

The Indian is 100bhp(ish) at 8100rpm and is a 1133cc Liquid Cooled fuel injected Twin. Its got a fair bit of pull at low revs, I find it great fun and when its pushed it does go a bit, but the handling isn't great as its essentially a cruiser but it is still rapid (I believe 0-60 is less than 4 secs). I've set the AFR tuning to respond more aggressively at WOT, which is fun.

I don't think (hope) am I kidding myself as to whether I could handle the Rocket 3, when manoeuvring slow/steady (The Scout is just over 250Kg wet), I appreciate that the New Rockets are nearer 300Kg but I understand they also have a low COG, speed wise I love a good blast where its safe to do so, I'm generally quite a sensible rider in traffic (but do like to let out a scream now and then !, edit: more now than then recently too :) ).

What do you guys think, should I wait a little? I cant see any other bike I fancy at the moment, that fits the bill. I did like the stats of the big BMW tourers, but they look very dull.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Everyone,

I don't have a Rocket III (yet) but I am absolutely fascinated with them. I only got my licence last year, at the age of 56 (I did ride when I was younger but only 125ccs), and I've been riding my Indian Scout Bobber since then, done about 3500miles and I really enjoy it, but I'm feeling the need for something else, something less aggressive on my back, and something to do distance on. But fun, powerful and looks the dogs!

I've booked a test ride on an RIII R next week (couldn't get a GT locally, which is currently my preferred choice based on reviews Ive watched/read). The dealer seemed impressed I'd jumped straight on the Indian from the training bikes, and said to just stick it in Rain Mode to start with and take it for a spin. Who was I to argue, so I booked.

The Indian is 100bhp(ish) at 8100rpm and is a 1133cc Liquid Cooled fuel injected Twin. Its got a fair bit of pull at low revs, I find it great fun and when its pushed it does go a bit, but the handling isn't great as its essentially a cruiser but it is still rapid (I believe 0-60 is less than 4 secs). I've set the AFR tuning to respond more aggressively at WOT, which is fun.

I don't think (hope) am I kidding myself as to whether I could handle the Rocket 3, when manoeuvring slow/steady (The Scout is just over 250Kg wet), I appreciate that the New Rockets are nearer 300Kg but I understand they also have a low COG, speed wise I love a good blast where its safe to do so, I'm generally quite a sensible rider in traffic (but do like to let out a scream now and then !, edit: more now than then recently too :) ).

What do you guys think, should I wait a little? I cant see any other bike I fancy at the moment, that fits the bill. I did like the stats of the big BMW tourers, but they look very dull.

Cheers,

Mark
Like you I am older and had not ridden anything but dirt bikes when I was .a twentysomething. At about 60 I borrowed my buddies Vespa to take the dmv riding test and of course passed (anyone would with a Vespa). Then I promptly bought a Rocket III. Everything worked out great with now well over 100,000 miles on Rockets (two of them). And I ride like a hooligan in sport mode or rider mode. Don’t overthink it Rockets are easy to ride if you dont get stupid with the throttle the first day. I would’t wait.

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,

Mark
My wife said for years I didn't need a bike that big. Had ridden 42 years at the time. My father who was healthy died of a freak heart attack in 16 and she said, Maybe you should get that bike because you never can tell what's going to happen. Few months later I had my beauty. Do It!!! You never know.

Welcome to the forum.
Maybe you can help me out......You're based in the UK and that's a Yorkshire rose ?

Can't enlighten you regarding the 2.3 Rocket, but I can do regarding the 2.5L
I think the Rocket 2.5 is an easy bike to ride (I'm talking normal, relaxed riding).
It feels so natural, smooth and stable. Brakes are good (not too grabby...lots of feel, though could be more powerful, but my main point is, they are perfect for most situations and riding styles).
The bike handles extremely well (mind bendingly well)..That said, it's a long bike and the tyres are very wide, so tight turns will take a bit of getting used to.
It's very heavy to push around, so you will need to plan ahead when parking up. Pushing the bike backwards up even the slightest incline is often futile and either comical or dangerous depending on your mindset.
In my opinion, all this rain mode/rider mode business is a bit over egged. If you are a relatively intuitive, smooth rider, rider mode can be default mode most of the time. Sure, if you're a moped rider and you jump on a Rocket 3, then you might twist your wrist too much, but if you're used to riding something like a modern 750, then the Rocket is easy and forgiving.....until you twist the throttle with intent......then all hell breaks loose and the forces from within the beast propel you toward the horizon in a very deep and meaningful way.......Folk often use the term ' like no other'. It does that pretty much in all riding modes so it will generally be traction control that attempts to assist you if you do something regretful with your right wrist.
I would describe the Rocket as a Bentley on two wheels.
It's solid and planted. Smooth and relaxed, but will push you forward rather splendidly if you tell the chauffer to take the day off and roll your sleeves up....if you get my meaning. ;)

One final thing worth mentioning.....a slightly negative thing. Rear suspension... it's the weak link unfortunately and the most un-Bentley aspect of the bike. The suspension travel is inherently short and the rear wheel and drive shaft is heavy in order to cope with the rest of the bike. This results in a not so plush ride on bumpy road surfaces (a bit like a Harley Sportster has the same problem, if you've ever ridden one). It's important to set the suspension to your body weight for a half decent ride, but even then, it can give your body a good pounding on crappy roads.....therefore most folks choose mid-controls rather than the forward controls....Mid-controls help you to be able to save your bum and your spine, if you hit a pothole.

Last edited:
I've owned a Scout and just about every other model of the modern Indians and this bike does not directly compare to any of them. It is a better handling bike than the Scout with a better suspension but the rear is a bit firm. Do not be afraid of power, it has a throttle and not a toggle switch. It is a very easy bike to ride and loads of fun. I would not think it to be the best distance tourer and would choose my Challenger instead of the R3.

Last edited:
Welcome from sunny North Texas. I traded my 2005 Rocket for my 2020 Triumph Bobber Black. The Rocket was a better long distance ride than the Bobber but I don't ride long distance any more (I earned my IBA # on my Rocket). The reason I traded for the Bobber was the Rocket was getting too heavy for my 70 year old carcass to push around the garage. I bought a 2017 T-120 about a year before I traded the Rocket and was riding that pretty exclusively, so the Rocket went and now I run around town on the Bobber, and my T-120, and because I got fascinated with the 1200 twins I bought me a Thruxton R as well. Now if I do any longer rides I will use my 1200 Trophy for the comfort (and it's getting heavier as I get older). Everything else will be one of the other 3 bikes based on what I plan on doing that day. So that's my way of saying have the bike for the mission you want to accomplish. If the Rocket fills the bill, get it, your regrets will be fewer.

Back