northernrider

.020 Over
Ride
Motorcycles
New Canuck member here. I just purchase a 2005 R3. I drove 14 hours round trip to pick it up.
Unfortunately I had a little mishap unloading the bike. You can't see it in the picture, but I had a wheel chock ratchet strapped to the front of the truck box. Unbeknownst to me while I was trying to unload the bike the front tire had jammed itself into the wheel chock. By the time I noticed the back tire was on the ramp and the front bar of the chock was under the tip of the front fender. I did manage to dislodge the chock, but that led to a small series of events that concluded with the bike as you see it in the picture.
Unloading the Rocket the Hard Way.jpg

Luckily the only damage was a broken foot peg on the left. not even a scratch anywhere else.

This is my first cruiser style bike. I've had it for a week and have put on over 1500 km. It would have been more, but I had to go back to work.
It's quite different from my other bikes (2015 GSX-S750 and 2003 DR650SE). I'm amazed at how easy it corners with all this weight. Finding my lines in tighter corners is different though, and going to take some getting use to. I find that I'm also constantly trying to find the foot pegs in the wrong spot when I leave from a stop.

I'm the third owner of this bike.
I'm thinking that the first owner must have been a huge guy. The bike has a Corbin seat that luckily has a backrest that fits behind the driver as well (I'm guessing it must be a tall seat or custom made to sit further back). I've had to cut a 2" foam kneeling pad and tie wrap it to the backrest to get my legs in a comfortable position on the pegs. I'll have to try to find a stock height seat to see how it fits me. I might give Corbin a call and see how much it would cost to get the seat reworked to fit me.

I tried to roll the handlebars back a bit as they are also a bit far out, but the clamp bolts are so tight that I'm afraid of breaking them. I suspect that maybe red Loctite might have been used. Unfortunately I've had no luck getting in touch with the original owner. The only way I know of releasing red Loctite is with heat. It takes about 500* to get it to melt but I'm afraid of damaging the chrome on the clamps and the bars. I might end up having to break the bolts, remove the top triple and drill out the bolts enough to heat them from the inside. As soon as the Loctite starts to melt, remove the bolt with an easy out. Quite the job just to roll the handlebars back a couple of inches.
In case you're wondering, I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I can still flat foot it on the bike, but just barely.
Well, it's getting late here and so time for me to sign off.
Best regards all,
Clinton

Last edited:
WELCOME! to our R3 Family from my Miami, Florida... Even with your issues I know you're already stuck with your new Perma-Grin :thumbsup: :cool: Sorry to hear about your mishap, and glad you weren't under her, but you know every bike I've owned has gone over once (only once too!!!)... even some gently. I used to tell my students it's not "if" but "when"... glad you got yours out of the way. :p For your clamp bolts, I'm going to assume you've already coated them with WD-40 and let sit for some time? If not I'd do that before wrenching.

BTW, you and I are the exact same size and she's the most comfortable bike I've ridden (R3T).

I'd love to see a photo of the other side of your bike... :whitstling:
-MIG

Last edited:
Bienvenue sur le forum. On a réagi de la même façon, pour le positionnement des pieds, à la différence que les repos-pieds d'origine ont été changés par des marches-pieds qui permettent différentes positions pour les pieds. La R3 demande une période d'adaptation, je l'ai depuis le début juillet, j'ai commencé par des déplacements plus court, 50 km, et j'ai finalement fait une journée de 400 kilomètres voilà une semaine. J'ai ajouté un coussin Airhawk 2, qui m'a grandement aidé et je regarde pour de nouveaux amortisseurs pour aider mon dos malade. Bonne randonnée à toi!!:frais:

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome guys.:)

every bike I've owned I gone over once (only once too!!!)... even someone gently. I used to tell my students it's not "if" but "when"... glad you got yours out of the way. :p
I do like your way of thinking.😎
I'll see about a better picture of the bike not taking a nap on my next days off.
I got in touch with the original owner and good news. He let me know that the handle bars were as set from the dealer so no worries about Loctite. When I get home, I'll spray some penetrating oil on the bolts, let her sit for a day, then give them a shock with an impact driver.

Back