Harley-Davidson turn the adventure bike market on its head with the new Pan America

You know what fellows, Harley has been criticized for not changing with the times. The Cruiser market is fading and the other markets growing. It's about time Harley has dipped their toes in other markets. This one seems to be growing rapidly. If you look at the specs on that machine, they're impressive. VVT valve timing, 150 hp, 1250cc, 94 ft/lbs of torque, an optional ARH (adaptive ride height) suspension drops height by up to 5 cm when stopped to help shorter riders, lean sensitive traction control etc etc etc... I'm impressed. What might be depressing is the cost but who cares considering what the Beemers are going for.

I am sorry if my post offended you. I was not questioning the quality of the bike, but the quality of the business decision of HD to enter the adventure bike segment. I assume the bike itself will be very good. But "very good" might just not be enough to succeed in this market segment.
Every business decision is a bet on the future. None of us - although some might deny it - do know the future. Some business decisions are more critical than others. And if much is at stake, you need to balance your risks very carefully. What I am saying, and what I might have needed to be clearer on, is this: I consider the Pan Am as a high-risk decision in a time where HD might not want to add more risks. No disrespect for the quality of the engineering of the bike itself intended.
No offense taken, I’m just seeing a lot of the more traditional folk bashing the bike, the Motor Company before they really see what’s being attempted.
To risk nothing means inevitable failure. I don’t feel the MoCo risked it all trying to get into the largest growing segment of the motorcycling community. Only time and sales will tell the tale. It’s actually an exciting time! Sales are gutted thru the industry. Only the innovators, and those who truly understand the need and quantity will thrive.

No offense taken, I’m just seeing a lot of the more traditional folk bashing the bike, the Motor Company before they really see what’s being attempted.
To risk nothing means inevitable failure. I don’t feel the MoCo risked it all trying to get into the largest growing segment of the motorcycling community. Only time and sales will tell the tale. It’s actually an exciting time! Sales are gutted thru the industry. Only the innovators, and those who truly understand the need and quantity will thrive.

I think it's interesting that HD is working to diversify and develop alternative revenue streams. The last bike I test-rode at my local HD shop was a Buell, and thought it was a fun machine. Is this new model going to remind us of the old days?

I think it's interesting that HD is working to diversify and develop alternative revenue streams. The last bike I test-rode at my local HD shop was a Buell, and thought it was a fun machine. Is this new model going to remind us of the old days?
You should arrange for a test ride and see for yourself!

The diversification efforts hopefully bear fruit. I owned a Buell XB12S myself and despite its quirks, it was a very compentent machine for twisty backroads. Although I was way too tall for the rather small bike, it was good fun, even on some mountain passes (although it had a tendency to overheat). I just think Buell did not (or was not able to) develop those machines to their full potential (read: reliability). The later 1125CR just alienated many potential buyers - including myself - with its otherworldly styling.
The next H-D product that really cought my attention was the Livewire. Again, great engineering, but way too expensive and too immature with its limited range. I admit that for a very brief moment I considerded the Livewire before deciding for the Rocket 3r.

I'll give it 10 years or less before The Republic Of California requires all new motorcycles to be 100% electric. They will grandfather older bikes but it's going to happen sooner than later. The other states will follow suit but maybe 5 to 10 years later. It's what this state does. I'm not against electric but I want it to be my choice.

Back