I have noticed this happening also. I have about 8500 miles on the tires. I have traced it down to the tires. If you look closely, you may notice that some of the tread is wearing unevenly toward the sides (since this is where the most of the tread is left. This causes the tires to "sing" a little when cornering - much like vehicle tires that have an aggressive tread and have worn a little due to various factors. I have always checked the pressure to make sure it was correct in both. I think it is a little more pronounced on the rear because the tire is so large.

Again, only my experience.

burnsr said:
No I swear the whine is the engine because if it were the tires wouldn't it do it at all speeds. If I speed up to 3000 rpm and sway back and forth the noise does not show up.

Don't focus on RPM, focus on speed. The tires will not sing at all speeds, it's going to be dependent on your speed of travel, texture of the surface you're on and vertical angle.

if you can find the room to do it, go through a turn under power where you know they sing, give it a little more speed and then pull the clutch, you should slow back to the speed they were singing and you will know it's tires. You might have to be quick to listen because as your speed drops, the tone note of the singing will drop and you may miss it, also use caution when cutting power in a turn (if you don't already know) it can impact your direction of travel and the way the bike handles.

You'll hear singing on just about any tire at certain speeds, some are really loud, some are quiet. You can hear them on the cars next to you or in front of you as you travel. Especially on big 4x4s with knobby tires.

It's normal and as the outer edges wear down, you could notice it less or you may notice it more depending on how they wear.

If it isn't tires the only thing I can think of is check your fluid levels.

It's your tires. :wink:
Metzlers on the Rocket and Avons on the Valkyrie, they both do it.
The reason you can't hear it above 3,000 rpm is the engine noise is drowning it out. 8)

Get seven strong and trusted friends and run the bike stationary, in the driveway at the RPM where you have heard the whine, then everyone lean the bike over as far as they need to reproduce the whine. If they don'e wimp out and drop it, and you get no whine, then it is the tires.
Good luck, maybe run a video just in case, (hate to miss it if they do wimp out!)

Back