Habechian

.020 Over
What is the diference between ECUs Classic and Touring ??

Why R3 Touring has a diferent map for Brazil and Classic dont?

Can I use the Touring map in my Classic?
Iam from Brazil.

What is the diference between ECUs Classic and Touring ??

Why R3 Touring has a diferent map for Brazil and Classic dont?

Can I use the Touring map in my Classic?
Iam from Brazil.

The 'brains' are all the same. The thoughts are different.

The reason there are different 'tunes' with different parameters is to address different acessories. European (and I presume Brazil) tunes have a power limiting feature. The EU requires a horsepower limit that's less than the domestic bike makes.

You can use any tune in your bike so long as the tune you use is applicable for the equipment your bike has, for instance, if you have TOR's and a cat bypass, it will require a different tune than if you have the stock pipes and a filled cat box.

Interestingly, I found out this week that it's possible to load any Triumph tune in the computer, that is, you can load a Speed Triple tune in the R3. If, that's a good idea, I'm not sure, but it can be done and has been.

There are differences between the new Touring model and the R3 Standard - Classic besides tunes. There are physical differences in the fuel injection units and I believe in the cams. The engines themselves are the same displacement and share the same physical characteristics and parts like the radiators and the oil tanks and other bits.

Very interesting about being able to load such disparate tunes. The Touring model has different tables than the Standard/Classic models. Without firing up Tune Edit I don't remember which one has tables that the other does not but I wonder what would happen to the tables that don't match. It would be interesting to try, lets use your ECU Flip. :)

As to other differences, as far as I know only the throttle body is different. The cams are the same part numbers.

I didn't know you could (load alien to the R3) tunes until I was out at Baxter's on Monday. I was told about a certain R3 with a 955i tune installed. I was told that performance wise it's not desireable but the bike runs....just poorly.

I guess you can do that sort of thing when you have a bunch of tunes and a bunch of bikes to fiddle with.

The R3T maps and the R3 maps must be quite a bit different for the reduction in power if just the TB is different. I was under the impression that the cams were different as well.

The R3T maps and the R3 maps must be quite a bit different for the reduction in power if just the TB is different. I was under the impression that the cams were different as well.

From what I've seen there is quite a bit of difference in the tunes. I also think a fair amount of power is lost in that dual exhaust on the R3T. Even with TORS or D&D's the R3T is much quieter than a comparably equipped Standard or Classic. I'm guessing the aftermarket has kept the Touring exhaust more restrictive thinking nobody really wants a loud bagger.

I wouldn't want mine to be any louder but I'd sure like to see what could be done with a fully opened exhaust.

What I see is that ONLY Touring model has a special map to Brazil and the R3/R3Classic dont have this "special" maps.

Here, in Brazil, we have 25% alcool whit 75% gas.

Last edited:
What I see is that ONLY Touring model has a special map to Brazil and the R3/R3Classic dont have this "special" maps.

Here, in Brazil, we have 25% alcool whit 75% gas.

Speaking just for myself, my '06 Classic is very sensitive to the amount of alcohol in the gasoline. I found that out 2 years ago when I rode down the Eastern Seaboard and got some reformulated fuel in Delaware. The bike started acting poorly and I had to do a 12 minute tune to keep on going.

Have you tried emailing Wayne at Tuneboy? I do know that not all available tunes are posted on his website. He should be able to answer your question.

Back