ThrottleMeister cruise control gone bad

HeR3tic

Living Legend
No, ThrottleMeister is not a true cruise control; but a darn site easier to install and nearly as effective. After-all what could possibly go wrong.

I rode to work yesterday, just like usual, and all was good. I get on the the beast to head home and the throttle return isn't working. I checked the ThrottleMeister to assure myself that it isn't "on" and that didn't appear to be the case. There's are a lot of touchy feely folks in my office. I get home and tear down and open up access to the linkage between here and there and make a few minor adjustments to take up a smidgen of slack at the throttle linkage but still no joy. I've been running the ThrottleMeister for two years at this point with no issues. But having no idea where the binding was occurring otherwise I began to take off the ThrottleMeister. Immediately the tension on the open throttle was lifted and the throttle returned to 0.

For some reason, as yet to see daylight, the proper fitting had changed. I added another shim and the ThrottleMeister is healed.

You really don't even need the shims! Simply unscrew the screws holding the switches in place and the throttle and move it enough to tighten or loosen the throttle position to adjust the tension on the throttle meister. Easy fix.

Native One

I wish the R3T had an actual cruise control. I'm not sold on the friction actuated stuff. As such, I use a "Cramp Buster". It's not a cruise control. It just allows you to use your palm and give your fingers a rest when time & place permit.

You really don't even need the shims! Simply unscrew the screws holding the switches in place and the throttle and move it enough to tighten or loosen the throttle position to adjust the tension on the throttle meister. Easy fix.

Native One
You surely are speaking of a different Throttlemeister - Home device.

I wish the R3T had an actual cruise control. I'm not sold on the friction actuated stuff. As such, I use a "Cramp Buster". It's not a cruise control. It just allows you to use your palm and give your fingers a rest when time & place permit.
I too use a Cramp Buster. In fact I have one on each grip. As for whether the friction actuated ThrottleMeister is your cup of tea or not. I found the need for prolonged hands off the grip(s) is not my cup 'o tea. You just never know when a snake will slither out in front of you and your immediate need for your free hand(s) are just that, immediate. I must admit it is handy to be hands free when you need to pop the top on a brew or when fumbling around in the saddle bags, but that's usually a few seconds at best. I honestly haven't used the Throttlemeister since installing the cheap $10 Cramp Buster for nearly as long ago as the Throttlemeister has been installed.

Just for clarification, the TM is the one that locks the throttle and is disengaged by the brake lever?

I think your talking about the BreakAway throttle lock. The TM just locks on the end of the grip so to speak. Those who use the TM can comment more on the specifics.
The breakaway attaches around the grip on the inside and attaches(bolts) to the switch cube. a lever that protrudes to the brake lever. Activates by a thumb lock, deactivates by thumb or engaging brake. I saw and electronic audiovox cruise. Im gonna look it up and post. Maybe another alternative.

mutt

You surely are speaking of a different Throttlemeister - Home device.

I too use a Cramp Buster. In fact I have one on each grip. As for whether the friction actuated ThrottleMeister is your cup of tea or not. I found the need for prolonged hands off the grip(s) is not my cup 'o tea. You just never know when a snake will slither out in front of you and your immediate need for your free hand(s) are just that, immediate. I must admit it is handy to be hands free when you need to pop the top on a brew or when fumbling around in the saddle bags, but that's usually a few seconds at best. I honestly haven't used the Throttlemeister since installing the cheap $10 Cramp Buster for nearly as long ago as the Throttlemeister has been installed.

No, in actuality I am not speaking of a different Throttle Meister device. I merely installed mine without the use of the shims at all by moving the entire switch and throttle assembly to meet the Throttle Meister at the end of the rubber throttle. As I said, it is an easy fix. I did this to my Rocket III as well as a Screaming Eagle Fat Boy. The entire assembly moves freely when you loosen it.

Native One

On the throttle subject one question???

How or what is the process when riding with hand on the throttle adjust the meister?
Do you have to remove your grip from the throttle? use the pinky fingers? or what? to make an adjustment?:confused:

It's certainly not like pushing a button. Yes, it might take a bit of pinky coordination. It certainly isn't a one motion engagement unless the tolerance is very very close. I'd say, somewhere between a 1/2 and 3/4" rotation. You might let off the throttle momentarily and get a two finger hold on the controller, to apply the necessary engagement tension (you don't want it tight) then throttle up to speed.

Back