boogerdave

Nitrous
Is it really all that big of a deal to change out throttle cables?? I just called and got a price on changing out the handlebars and cables and he kinda made it sound like it was a pain in the backside to do . . ??:confused::confused:

I've had both ends of the stock cables loose at one time or another (not both at the same time, maybe that's why it was a real pain getting the little barrel ends back in place at the throttle grip end). I can't see that it would be that difficult but it would depend (as usual) how mechanically inclined the individual is.

I believe, given the challenge, the cables could be changed in about an hour or a little more. Raise & prop the tank, remove the overflow reservoir and gain access to the lower end. Then with those loose (and marked with a marker or tape to know the setting points), the upper end at the throttle should be a breeze.

Just don't take my word for it though. I've been know to make all jobs I do take longer, except for the ones involving sex.

See ya.

Well . . . I guess I was just being lazy taking it in anyway . . . I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I haven't torn up anything in a couple of weeks . . .

Remove the left handgrip and controls from the handlebars. Loosen the throttle/handgrip body, remove the handlebar clamp, slide the throttle housing and grip off the bars in one piece. No need to remove the cables.
If you're replacing the cables also, Rusty gave a good description. It's not that hard. Sounds like you talked to a lazy mechanic.

Last edited:
Lazy mechanic!!, I never heard such a thing. I have to go sit down now, all worn out from typing....ZZZZZZZZZZ

I put handlebar risers on my 06 R3, changed out the throttle cables and clutch cable. It's actually pretty easy if you take the time to look it over, determine which cable at the throttlebody is which and don't mix them up. A hlf hour to and hour is a good estimate and setting them is simple. Good luck1

I dunno.... This is Boogerdave you're talking about here. If adult beverages are involved it could go either way. :eek:

Man . . . first Her3tic wants to make me the ambassador to Terra del Fuego or something, now this . . .

I actually lifted up the tank and took a look tonight . . . I should have it done by tomorrow evening . . . doesn't look like its that big a deal. I already did the Speedmaster and it looks about the same.

Gotta take a break tonight and watch Boston Legal . . . .:D

Back