Throttle Cable reassemble, not enough play - Help!

BuffaloR3

.060 Over
I know the previous owner screwed with this at one point and might have messed it up (he swapped handle bars so he had to dis/reassemble the throttle) or I'm missing something. I'm installing the Rivco handle bar risers and re-routing the cables, one of the steps is to disassemble the throttle assembly, reroute the cable and put it back together - that is where I'm having the problem. I've put as much slack in the line that the adjuster allows and there is just not enough to get this back together, it came apart by one of the cables popping out of the guide unexpectedly (pretty much as soon as I took the clamp off) and the plastic "clip" was bent in a not so good way. Now trying to get them back onto the grip is impossible. I've figured out where to roll the throttle body at the intake to give me some slack to put in the one side of the cable, put in the other one and release, but then when I try and wrap it around the grip there is just not enough slack. Going the other direction of winding it around and then trying to stretch it into the "clip" is not even remotely possible, a good 1/2" short.

Is there slack to be had elsewhere in these lines (where they connect to the throttle body maybe) or am I missing some trick? I've done this on other bikes and remember there being plenty of slack to assemble and then just tightened the adjusters when done. :mad:

Maybe the combination of aftermarket handlebar and risers is too much for the stock cables? You may have to break down and buy longer cables.

Agree with Hellfire, I have the Rivco risers and it stretches the cables to the max, any more and I'd have to buy longer cables.

I haven't put the handlebars into their final resting position yet so the cables aren't stretched (the whole assembly is hanging free off the bar right now). The problem isn't the length of the cable sheath, it's the play on the interior cable itself that isn't long enough. I think I may have figured it out. From the looks of it someone adjusted the cable tension from where they attach to the throttle body and not the adjusters up near the grip. When I disassembled it there was no play in the grip adjusters but after pulling the claw and looking at the other end they are cranked out a good 1/2"+ on the threads. I haven't tried it yet but I should be able to get the slack by turning that down a bit.

..I'm running the Thunderbike T bars with the Rivco risers..when I put them on, I slipped the throttle housing on the end of the bars while they were laying on the the towel covered gas tank..routed the stock cables behind the triple tree..then eased the bars up into postion..the cables need to be freely clamped up out of the way so they don't get pinched in a full locked turn..

Got it. Loosened it up at the throttle body and slipped right in. There were tool marks on the nuts near the throttle body so I do believe the idgit I bought this from went through the trouble of dropping the overflow tank and adjusted the cable length there instead of using the exposed adjusters near the grip, he overtightened it to boot and now the "clip" is pulled out of whack, should buy a new grip before final reassembly before the clip breaks off at an inopportune time.

Gripe about Triumph here - With all the tension on the throttle (these bikes have a heavier throttle than any other bike I've ever ridden) why would you use plastic clips for the cable on the grip? My old Vulcan and my really old Honda had metal brackets in the grip to grab the cable, these plastic ones look like they are destined to deform and break off. Spend an extra buck and put in something more durable. Done with complaint.

Back