thinking of buying a roadster

Spillman

.020 Over
Hello everyone,

New here and new to triumph if I decide to get one. I would like to buy a roadster, the problem is, if it is one, is that I'm 300 miles away from the nearest dealer.

Is that gonna be a problem? How many times do yall need to visit the dealership for maintenance or warranty work.

While I wouldn't mind the 300 mile trip once in a while just running up there is not something I would have to do every time something is wrong with the bike.

Should I be concerned that the dealer will be 300 miles away from me? Would getting a local performance shop to do required maintenance going to be a problem, thats if I can find someone familiar with Triumph.

Is that going to void my warranty if I take to someone in town for oil changes or new tires?

I have a M109R now and do my own oil changes. I have had one warranty job done on my bike in the 9 months I have had it.

I have 34k miles on my bike and want something with a little more power. I like to do 3 day weekends at about 600-700 miles one way. I expect to put 40k to 50k miles on the bike the first year.

Am I too far away from my dealer and need to get a bike locally?

Thanks for yalls input/advice.

Ramon

Warranty

Hi
as long as the person is a qaulified motorcycle machanic there isnt a problem with warranty they can stamp your book . thats how it is here in Australia anyway
so u should be fine:cool:
Regards Mitch

Hi
as long as the person is a qaulified motorcycle machanic there isnt a problem with warranty they can stamp your book . thats how it is here in Australia anyway
so u should be fine:cool:
Regards Mitch

Thanks Evil,

What is this book thing?

I live in the states and the guy I'm thinking of asking to do my work has been in business 30 yrs, races bikes and does performance mods on them. I still haven't been by his shop to even ask if he's ever seen a triumph. I'm sure he has probably worked on them but I dont know if he would be certified by Triumph.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ramon

Ramon

rocket

The service book was what i was refering to
it doesnt have to be stamped by a triumph dearler just a qualified motorcycle mechanic thats how it works in oz anyway.
sometimes its good to go to someone else as long as they know the bike because dealerships are restrictive usually on what they will do to your bike for u such as tunes as far as i know they only have three they offer standard , aftermarket, and race tune or something to that effect anyway
sometimes dealerships r more expensive on servicing also
it shouldnt void your warranty at all .
you could also contact the mechanic and ask him if he can do the work and if it would or not for peace of mind i guess
regards mitch

Spillman:
We had a similar concern when we bought our Beast, although we are only 40 miles or so from the nearest Triumph dealer. Got our '08 Standard in May and it has not been back to the shop (admittedly, only 6K miles so far). Reliability of the Beast seems very good so far.

However, with your being so far from service, one issue for you might be tires. It is now evident to us that our Beast will need re-shod every 8K miles or so. For you (projecting to ride 40-50K miles per year), that will be 5 or more trips to get new rubber per year. If you have tire service without returning to the dealer, good. Better factor this into your deliberations.

As an aside, we would be most interested in your riding impressions comparing the Beast to your M109.

We trudge on.

The Service Manual is available online so you can do most of your own minor service work (oil changes, brake pad changes, etc.). Just whenever you are ready to do something, hop on the web site and search around for someone who has posted something about it.

It takes some work to void a warranty. In other words, don't worry too much about that. Now, if you are planning to add a blower or turbo, then you should worry.

My only concern for you is tire changes. Our beasts are not kind to rear tires and you will be changing them often. Invest in some good moly grease if you plan to do your own removal and install from the bike. Check with your local guy to make sure that he can handle mounting the tire to the large Rocket wheel. If they do M109 tires, he should be able to handle the Rocket's. Depending on your riding style, you may also want to scan over the Darkside forum for some strategies to address tire longevity.

I'm sure that if you have participated in M109 forums that you have seen suggestions for immediate mods to the bike. The same is true for Rockets. For instance, a headlight relay mod is highly recommended right away. Removing secondaries and some other performance mods are also common.

If you don't mind, update your profile with your location and some local R3 Owners might be able to answer some more questions.

Spillman, I have a dealer 35 miles away and would not use them if my bike broke down in front of their dealership. They are 99% Harley and .5% Triumph. I choose to travel 175 miles one way to RPM in North Dallas. Usually if a part needs replacing under warranty I'll call them up and they will send me the part and I will install it myself. I've owned 2 Rockets and Triumph has taken good care of me, even out of warranty.

Spillman, I have a dealer 35 miles away and would not use them if my bike broke down in front of their dealership. They are 99% Harley and .5% Triumph. I choose to travel 175 miles one way to RPM in North Dallas. Usually if a part needs replacing under warranty I'll call them up and they will send me the part and I will install it myself. I've owned 2 Rockets and Triumph has taken good care of me, even out of warranty.

I couldn't agree more.

I have a local Suzuki dealer that has no idea what brings in return business. I got reamed with a fuel filter replacement that takes 15 - 20 minuets. You remove the tank, turn it over pull out the fuel pump and replace the filter. They bank on the idea that a newbee has never done anything remotely close to this and then charge you two hours labor. That 200.00 bucks, to do something I had to do while on the rode, 600 miles from home and no dealerships for who knows how far, was a lesson I learned early and is probably saving me money and grief.

On the 109 the filter on some bikes for some reason tend to get dirty more readily and clog up. Clogged up filter means no fuel. No fuel, no go.

Well that happened to me on the way to ride hwy 191. We removed and cleaned out the filter well enough to pass gas (hahah) out behind a quicky stop type store by the trash cans in 30 mins and on our way. Not a 200 dollar two hour job.

If im gonna get an r3 i guess i need to start over on what I need to be up on before I jump in.

Thanks

The Service Manual is available online so you can do most of your own minor service work (oil changes, brake pad changes, etc.). Just whenever you are ready to do something, hop on the web site and search around for someone who has posted something about it. ..................

Thanks T

I got to test ride the R3 yesterday and I love it. Its gonna be my next bike. I'm looking into what it will take me to lower it just a bit cause I'm tippy toe on the bike now. Even so it felt very comfortable to be on it.

The ride is very different from the 9. Its more upright and feels like it would be great on long rides. Cant wait to try it out.

Im finding that forums like these on your favorite bike are priceless. The comradery and useful information you find is the culmination of lifetimes.

Thanks yall,
Ramon

Spillman:
As an aside, we would be most interested in your riding impressions comparing the Beast to your M109.

We trudge on.

I like the looks of my 9 and the power it has. I also want more power.

The R3 has a differant quality about her. She is more powerful, unique in her looks. In the short 20 min ride I had she started to grow on me to the point I had the have her.
I am smitten.

Im in love.

Her curvey, robust, ample perfectly round upper tank just makes you want a big hug.
I guess that makes me a tank man.
I want her to take me places I have never been and she seems to call me, beckon me to join her in spur of the moment rides neither of us know where we will end up.
We could be gone for just a few wonderful moments to hours to days away from everything and everyone.
Just the two of us, happy, enjoying life wanting it to never end.
I live for her company,
I have to have her.
She is mine.

Back