Old N' Grumpy

Living Legend
Ride
2014 Triumph R3R & 2005 Harley FatBoy
I've noticed when I am starting off or doing anything where I have to twist the throttle slowly it seems to hesitate, then I give it a little more and it goes. It seems that it is just not operating as smooth as it should. Starts can be jerky. Only thing I've done is change the grips. That being said the throttle snaps back all the way fine. I'm at a loss...any idea's what it could be?

I've noticed when I am starting off or doing anything where I have to twist the throttle slowly it seems to hesitate, then I give it a little more and it goes. It seems that it is just not operating as smooth as it should. Starts can be jerky. Only thing I've done is change the grips. That being said the throttle snaps back all the way fine. I'm at a loss...any idea's what it could be?
squirt some liquidy stuff like wd40 in the opening of the cable housing might just work!!

No Scot it was the same before I changed the grips. Think I will first try lubing the cable however my bike has only 3000 miles so not sure if thats it but doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks for your imput guys and have a nice holiday!

Do you have handlebar end weights? sometimes the throttle one drags abit on the twist grip and needs to be spaced out with a washer or two.
good catch although it is much easier to loosen up the two screws on the grip and move it up the handle bar a wee bit so the weight stops dragging the throttle. Also if you have not checked it make sure the two throttle cables are adjusted right.

If all else fails, take the throttle grip off, inspect and lube the cables, pull each cable end to see if you feel any binding on one of the cables, lube the bar and assemble it all back together. Re-adjust all the cables and be sure to lube and inspect the cable on the other ends. Lube the throttle body shafts and springs as well and check for binding.

good catch although it is much easier to loosen up the two screws on the grip and move it up the handle bar a wee bit so the weight stops dragging the throttle. Also if you have not checked it make sure the two throttle cables are adjusted right.

Cable adjusters just might be it as I messed with them when installing my grips. The throttle snapped back all the way so I figured to be good.

Just learning how to do some things myself but honestly I do not know how the adjusters are adjusted.

it may be possible that they are to tight and that would put a bind on the grip. might try loosening them to seee if that works then set them.

Back