JohnnyCanuck

Supercharged
So I had my first mechanical issue with the Rocket. The engine began to idle very slowly while I was stopped in traffic in 1st gear - almost sounded like it was running out of gas - and then died. I pressed the ignition and all was fine and off I went.

Exact same thing happened next day. In first, engine begins to idle slowly and then dies. Start it up and no problems whatsoever.

I filled the tank up with gas in between these 2 episodes as it was a little low on fuel on the 1st occasion.

Drove the bike home (approx. 100 kilometres) the following day and no problems.

Worried that this may be a symptom for some bigger problem? I'm running Jardines with triple K & N's and PCV. Bike has been professionally dynotuned and no problems previously. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks!

So I had my first mechanical issue with the Rocket. The engine began to idle very slowly while I was stopped in traffic in 1st gear - almost sounded like it was running out of gas - and then died. I pressed the ignition and all was fine and off I went.

Exact same thing happened next day. In first, engine begins to idle slowly and then dies. Start it up and no problems whatsoever.

I filled the tank up with gas in between these 2 episodes as it was a little low on fuel on the 1st occasion.

Drove the bike home (approx. 100 kilometres) the following day and no problems.

Worried that this may be a symptom for some bigger problem? I'm running Jardines with triple K & N's and PCV. Bike has been professionally dynotuned and no problems previously. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks!

Yep I get the same problem occasionally .. mine seems to be related to throttle blip (not recommended apparently) on downchange and I thought it had something to do with the PCv-AT but not yet certain..

I have previously tried reloading the map and it has gone for a good length of time, then it does it again usually in city traffic.. its more of a nuisance than anything else trying to keep it idling whilst holding the brake on and pulling away at the same time..

I tried unchecking the AT but it still did it later... I think it could be AFR in my case blipping and wetting the plugs as it does clear eventually..

Don't know if this will help your issue...

Yep I get the same problem occasionally .. mine seems to be related to throttle blip (not recommended apparently) on downchange and I thought it had something to do with the PCv-AT but not yet certain..

I have previously tried reloading the map and it has gone for a good length of time, then it does it again usually in city traffic.. its more of a nuisance than anything else trying to keep it idling whilst holding the brake on and pulling away at the same time..

I tried unchecking the AT but it still did it later... I think it could be AFR in my case blipping and wetting the plugs as it does clear eventually..

Don't know if this will help your issue...

I would do a full ISCV reset and se eif the problem goes away. Other then that my first thought is a conflict with what fueling verses TPS, and other sensors that the ECU is using and trying to control over what the PCV is over riding on fueling. Just a guess though. Most likely the ISCV reset will cure the problems.

I would do a full ISCV reset and se eif the problem goes away. Other then that my first thought is a conflict with what fueling verses TPS, and other sensors that the ECU is using and trying to control over what the PCV is over riding on fueling. Just a guess though. Most likely the ISCV reset will cure the problems.

Thanks for the reply I will recheck ISCV settings but I recently replaced the TPS (blue) during the service and cleaned the CAS at oil change.
Just have a feeling its fuel related somehow because the AT doesent make corrections under 2 % of thottle positions so it could be a little rich in my case.. I use the throttle on downchange to 3rd for speed reduction before braking and thats when my idle faults occasionally.

It's a relief that it only sounds like a relatively minor nuisance rather than the onset of something major.

2 questions - what is the ISCV and how do I reset it?

Where do I find the crank position sensor?

Thanks for the great info as always.

It's a relief that it only sounds like a relatively minor nuisance rather than the onset of something major.

IDLE STEPPER CONTROL VOLTAGE ISCV

Can be set and checked with Tune Boy easily:D

I think you can set it with tune ecu but I do not use it so am not familiar with it.

Or Dealer computer gismo :D

CPS is left side just below the drive shaft on the back of the casing it has 1 fixing bolt and a cable.. search on here for info.. make sure you run the engine first to clear the sump oil and put a drain dish under, tiny oil loss.. there is an O ring seal and you will have to gently twist and pull to remove and clean the magnet.

Tune ECU TPS setting info is also well explained .. both are easy to adjust just a 6volt reading and gentle movement its touchy..best done nipped with gentle tapping.

Don't over tighten either bolts.:cool:

If you pull your Primary TPS off take a soda can and cut a shim for under the screw and between the Throttle body. the shim should be about .010"

You should not have to pull it though.

The crank sensor is a easy job as Dennsel stated run engine for about a minute to make sure oil is pumped up to the tank. And have a rag handy as a little will come out. WHile you down there take the time to pull you ground cable from you battery and clean it plus the engine block where it bolts to well. Grease with dialetric grease and bolt it back Up. You will not regret this. I wouold also do the positive cable on the starter.

This has nothing to do with you problem but you will be down on the floor anyway and it beats doing it in a parking lot somewhere someday :D

Back