Looking for a used R3, what years are best?

Azrial

Standard Bore
Ride
Yamaha FZ1000, Suzuki DR650
Hi Guys, New Member here. I am looking to join the club and and buy a used Rocket 3!

I started today by reading everything I could find on reliability and common problems. I read that the ignition switch is one problem area and that sometimes the oil lines are pulling lose.

I am going to have to buy a used bike, money is an object, but I have been looking at a low mileage 2006 Rocket iii classic on eBay right now that will close soon.

I have heard that the earlier years were more problematic, so what range of years as considered early years? Basically, I would like to find out how old I can go before I get in to "new model teething troubles." I

I have until tomorrow evening to make up my mind on this ride. Any help and advice is appreciated!

G'Day and welcome from one of the Aussies.
Buy the latest year model you can, if not check to see if all (if any) upgrades have been done.

Welcome @Azrial from another Aussie. Definitely follow the sound advice you get here on the forum as far as your budget allows. I bought an older standard with the upgrades and I love it. Next year a Roadster and keep the current bike as well (thats the plan anyway) Happy hunting. Chris

I'd be doing a lot more research before jumping in and buying this "gone soon E-Bay" machine. Plenty available in your part of the world.
P.S never heard of any oil-line problems on Rockets.

I have an 05 std with 70000 miles the reason the mileage is so low is because I own four bikes so I have to let each one have the pleasure of feeling my big butt, no matter what year you get no bike is going to be problem free but apart from a new ignition switch (Triumph gave me free) my bike has been trouble free, buy the bike and enjoy it we are all here to help you (fingers crossed)if any thing goes wrong with it.

Hello Azrial and welcome from VA. Your question comes loaded I would say. Technically, most newer bikes would tend to be the best being they are new. Some would say that older bikes, modified or not, are better as they have been broke-in and most of their quirks are corrected.
The word ‘best’ also has many meaning to each of us. I chose to buy new and to get a Touring over the Roadster because it came with almost everything I wanted on a bike. Others will take the Roadster because it is not loaded with bags, wind screen and such.
For my ergonomics, I have decided I like the R3T quite well. I have ridden the R3R and R3C in the past and can see adding either one to my stable someday. All Rockets are awesome.
The upgrade kit mentioned here refs to the transmission on the older bikes. Not all had the issue though. If second gear slips on hard acceleration, then the bike needs the upgrade kit. If you can ask the seller if this Classic has had it, that would be a good start.
Good luck and let us see the picture of your Rocket when you get it.

If your are talking about the )6 Classic on E bay that is gone in 38 minutes I myself would buy it but then I have one and even if it might need a update kit. I would have no problem buying it except for explaining to the head of the War Department with I need with 4 Rockets ?

Well thanks for the help, but work got it the way of bidding on the 2006 that Warp9.9 referred to. But as pointed out by Tomcat, there are more out there. I am going to continue to read these pages and keep looking. Thanks, I will post here when I buy my bike!

BTW, how much is the Transmission Upgrade Kit, installed, on average?

Well thanks for the help, but work got it the way of bidding on the 2006 that Warp9.9 referred to. But as pointed out by Tomcat, there are more out there. I am going to continue to read these pages and keep looking. Thanks, I will post here when I buy my bike!

BTW, how much is the Transmission Upgrade Kit, installed, on average?
YOU want to buy an 09 up they have the upgrades

Hi Guys, New Member here. I am looking to join the club and and buy a used Rocket 3!

I started today by reading everything I could find on reliability and common problems. I read that the ignition switch is one problem area and that sometimes the oil lines are pulling lose.

I am going to have to buy a used bike, money is an object, but I have been looking at a low mileage 2006 Rocket iii classic on eBay right now that will close soon.

I have heard that the earlier years were more problematic, so what range of years as considered early years? Basically, I would like to find out how old I can go before I get in to "new model teething troubles." I

I have until tomorrow evening to make up my mind on this ride. Any help and advice is appreciated!

All the threads I've seen on this list generally favor 2009 and up, which is especially important if you can't do the work yourself because dealers are exhorbitant and not many independents have much experience with Triumphs.

Back