Fuel filter renewal

Over the winter months I'm going to replace the fuel filter for my 2012 Roadster, I was amazed at the price of a genuine triumph filter £48.41 + £18.37 for a new seal. The seal I will get from Triumph as I don't think you can get a pattern part plus I don't want leaks over a hot engine (BOOM) but as for the filter has anyone used a Mahle filter KL 145 as I can get one for a 1/3rd of the price of a genuine Triumph here in the UK.
I got around to replacing the fuel filter yesterday, what I thought was an easy and simple job had me fearing not to damaging the tank studs and fuel gauge on removal. All of the nuts holding the pump in place were very tight to undo all the way along the thread and I was hoping that they would not shear off and looking at these nuts they look like anti loose nuts, then trying to remove the pump assembly out of the tank I have seen how this is done with most Triumph tanks so had a good idea on how this was going to work. I had the tank flat on its back first but this did not work so had it standing vertically as the fuel float would not come out with the unit, In the end I had to fish for it with a piece of wire once I got it then its a tight fit getting it out of the hole in the tank (nightmare). I have changed the fuel filter that was easy but I did notice compared to other Triumphs the pick up gorse filter at the end of the unit does not have the stainless steel mesh around it to stop large debris so is this correct !!. I'm picking up the new tank seal tomorrow and from what I can ascertain this is a modified seal and is quite different from the original seal so does the torque setting of 5 Nm still apply as I did hear from some where that someone had the miss fortune to shear off 2 of the studs on torquing down.

Screenshot_20240109_134537_Samsung Internet.jpg
not sure if this is any help? I did mine last year and it did have the coarse filter in it.
Screenshot_20240109_134537_Samsung Internet.jpg

I got around to replacing the fuel filter yesterday, what I thought was an easy and simple job had me fearing not to damaging the tank studs and fuel gauge on removal. All of the nuts holding the pump in place were very tight to undo all the way along the thread and I was hoping that they would not shear off and looking at these nuts they look like anti loose nuts, then trying to remove the pump assembly out of the tank I have seen how this is done with most Triumph tanks so had a good idea on how this was going to work. I had the tank flat on its back first but this did not work so had it standing vertically as the fuel float would not come out with the unit, In the end I had to fish for it with a piece of wire once I got it then its a tight fit getting it out of the hole in the tank (nightmare). I have changed the fuel filter that was easy but I did notice compared to other Triumphs the pick up gorse filter at the end of the unit does not have the stainless steel mesh around it to stop large debris so is this correct !!. I'm picking up the new tank seal tomorrow and from what I can ascertain this is a modified seal and is quite different from the original seal so does the torque setting of 5 Nm still apply as I did hear from some where that someone had the miss fortune to shear off 2 of the studs on torquing down.

Yeah the Touring has a different tank than the Rocket III, Classic, Tourer and Roadster so it has a few extra bits on its pump assy like the coarse filter and boot and pipe.
The Roadster pump should have a course filter attached to it though, like a small stiff net.

Now that's strange but I have just checked a Triumph parts list for both the classic/roaster and touring and they are both different, the classic & roadster don't have it but the touring does.
Yeah the Touring has a different tank than the Rocket III, Classic, Tourer and Roadster so it has a few extra bits on its pump assy like the coarse filter and boot and pipe.
The Roadster pump should have a course filter attached to it though, like a small stiff net.
Yes its got the very fine plastic filter, does the torque setting for the reassembly of the pump unit to the tank still the same 5Nm with the modified tank seal !!. Also as I have the tank off Im replacing the rubber fuel pipes.

Touring settup, wahlbro pump so a few things change

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0908.jpeg
    IMG_0908.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 12
Now that's strange but I have just checked a Triumph parts list for both the classic/roaster and touring and they are both different, the classic & roadster don't have it but the touring does.

Yes its got the very fine plastic filter, does the torque setting for the reassembly of the pump unit to the tank still the same 5Nm with the modified tank seal !!. Also as I have the tank off Im replacing the rubber fuel pipes.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, the Touring has a different fuel pump assembly than the other Rocket III models, because it has a different geometry tank;

Rocket III Touring

1704823425720.png

Rocket III (all other models)

1704823372770.png

Re the "modified" gasket, how do you mean modified?
Do you mean that the new part you buy now is an updated version of the original on the tank?
If it is a superseded part then I'm sure it will be fitted same as the original, as per the manual;

1704823304825.png

1704823707540.png

Back