Catastrophic Transmission Failure

Best case scenario is an engine swap and back on the road in time for my Bandera trip in mid September. Worst case is warranty claim denied and out-of-pocket expenses exceeding $7000 by my estimate.

I really hope for the engine swap scenario. Will save a LOT of labor expense and gets me out of their hair quicker. Let Triumph do the post-mortem on their time.

Read the service manual last night and learned that the engine casing halves are matched pairs. You cannot simply replace one half. SO . . . that essentially means a new or remanned short block. I'll know for sure if that happens because I have the original engine serial number on the upper half. Good news out of that is even if they save most of the parts from my existing engine, they are going to have to be disassembled to move into the new block. This should ferret out any collateral damage. Looks like the 500 mile and 10,000 mile service milestones will get repeated again. Maybe it will get the new upgraded transmission pack from the 2008's.

On the dealer issue - - Since the bike is under warranty, my attitude on the service response is different than if it was no longer covered. If the dealer says its OK, then let the warranty and Triumph support the assessment. If the bike had been out of warranty, I would have accepted nothing less than a signed statement claiming the health of the bike.

Lastly, British-USA has always treated me well. When I came in late one Saturday afternoon with a nail in the rear tire, they got me in and spent more than two hours changing it. This was when their service department was booked. Like it or not, you are married to your dealer and your safety rests in the skill of their techs. Best to keep a very polite, but business-like relationship to preserve the marriage. But just in case, I prepared an 18-page documentation package with service records and pre-maintenance photos of the bike. Hope for the best; prepare for the worst. Call it a post-nup.

Progress Being Made!

Stopped by the dealer this afternoon to get an update on my Rocket. Cliff was real nice and let me back in the shop to see it torn down.

To my surprise, she was on the operating table with entire rear drive train, radiator, side panels, exhaust, bear claw, etc. all removed. They started working on it right away. Kudos to British-USA. Due to shop workload, I hadn't expected any work on it for a couple more weeks.

The offending part that punched a hole in the lower engine casing was also removed. Turned out to be about 1/4 of a gear from the transmission. As I examined the hole in the block, it appears that it had been previously lodged in the casing. (The hole no longer looked like it had anything stuck in it).

Don't know which gear it was, becase the lower pan was reinstalled. But looking at the fracture, it appears to be a clean break of hardened steel. If it had not gotten stuck in the block, it had the potential to sieze the drivetrain. I feel very fortunate.

Good news - - the repairs are covered under warranty. The dealer tried to get a new engine from Triumph, but was told none were available. Out of warranty would be about $5000 in parts alone.

So it's going to be a new engine casing reassembled with parts from my existing engine. Estimated turn-around is about 30 days. This is much better than I had expected. My September Bandera trip is still a possibility!

I was very concerned about reusing parts from the old engine. Without magna-fluxing the various shafts, crank, etc. there is a possibility of undetected internal damage. Metal fragments could have wiped the bearings. Internal oil galleys could be restricted. The list goes on. Cliff told me they would replace all the bearings and seals and any shafts that were bent. I asked about the upgrade package and depending upon the amount of parts requiring replacment, this is still a possibility. Really hope the transmission gets upgraded at least.

Even so, without a complete overhaul, the break-in on the short block is going to be a partial one. Will the piston rings be replaced? If not, will the old ones re-seat? Is break-in oil going to be used? Will the engine have to go through a 500 mile and 10,000 mile checkout all over again? These and many more questions will be asked as things progress. Stay tuned.

Sounds like they are taking care of you, that is really great to hear. They've been in business a long time, so I'm sure they have some good rapport with Triumph USA.

The offending part that punched a hole in the lower engine casing was also removed. Turned out to be about 1/4 of a gear from the transmission. As I examined the hole in the block, it appears that it had been previously lodged in the casing. (The hole no longer looked like it had anything stuck in it).

Wow. Hope they get you back on the road soon.

Good to hear and hope they get you back up in time for the trip. I wouldn't worry about all the technical stuff since they will be getting the word from Triumph on that. If I'm not mistaken that will extend your existing warranty on their work. So when you get it just ride the doo doo out of it after break in if any.;)

I had my engine block replaced at 4700 miles, bad casting. A hole formed behind the oil tank and oil was running out. When I got the bike back, I rode it the same as I did before, no break in riding. I have 16500 miles on it now and it runs like a top. The shop owner did comment on how well the engine was built. It took less than a week to repair after they received the parts, 3 weeks in all. Hind sight, I would have had them just patch the hole instead of tearing it all apart. The engine does not use any oil and runs exactly like it did before.

my first service

Just had my r3 in for the 500 mile service and the dealer told me the engine had to come out for trans work as it is hard to put in to first. the sad part of all this is I still love the bike .

Mine does the same thing

Limey, did they tell you what was wrong that required them to pull the transmission? Mine has been difficult to get into first also, particularly if you put it in neutral at a stop light. When you push down for first the neutral light goes out but there's no click or any feedback through my foot that I have engaged the gear. When I let out the clutch either the neutral light comes back on or sometimes it will start to move out and then pop out of gear. Were your symptoms like that?

Back