Catastrophic Transmission Failure

Fastfreight, if your bike has less than a couple thousand of miles on it, that is pretty typical. It improves with time.

Pig9r,

I've got an 07 r3 classic with 9500 miles on it. Getting it into 1st gear is no different now then when it had 1000 miles on it. My bike hasn't improved at all. I have to do what has been explained here numerous times to get it to go into 1st gear. It will not go into 1st unless the clutch is pulled in, ect. Does this mean that I could have serious tranny problems in the future? I have not had any popping out of any gears since the bike was new. Going in for the 10m mile service soon. Does the new tranny fix that the 08 have, take care of the "getting into the 1st gear" problem. If so, then I need to have this done under warranty while I'm getting the 10m mile service done.

MarkC

I still have occassional problems with over 10,000 miles, but it was no where near what it was like new. When was the last time you changed the oil?

Pig9r,

I've got an 07 r3 classic with 9500 miles on it. Getting it into 1st gear is no different now then when it had 1000 miles on it. My bike hasn't improved at all. I have to do what has been explained here numerous times to get it to go into 1st gear. It will not go into 1st unless the clutch is pulled in, ect. Does this mean that I could have serious tranny problems in the future? I have not had any popping out of any gears since the bike was new. Going in for the 10m mile service soon. Does the new tranny fix that the 08 have, take care of the "getting into the 1st gear" problem. If so, then I need to have this done under warranty while I'm getting the 10m mile service done.

MarkC

When I got my R3 in 2004, the dealer told me to double clutch it before pushing it into 1st. it always works.

Me too, double clutch was the recommended 'fix'... don't know when it improved, only know that at some point during the 20K+ miles I have now it basically improved to the point that it only happens every so once and awhile... it was never a big deal I just learned to keep the clutch pulled in at stop lights. once i stopped worrying about it, it more or less faded away from my conscious thought. no tranny problems here, I wouldn't worry too much about this RIII "feature" !

Tranny Issues

I've been lurking for a few weeks now and have found an 06 classic that is a floor model W/O mileage. Essentially a new bike, never titled or ridden. When I compared this model to an 08R3, I was told by the dealer that a potential transmission problem has been corrected in the 08 models, and that tranny failure Can occur, but is not certain. It appears that those of you who have problems have not heard about this issue? I spoke with a Triumph only dealer who tells me that out of 90 or so bikes he has serviced, only 2 so far have had to be fixed. DOesn't seem like bad odds, but I don't know how many R3's are produced every year.

I double clutch everything anyway. By double clutch I mean squeeze the clutch to the friction point and snick it into gear, let the clutch out slightly while depressing the shift lever...it always goes into gear that way. This is the only bike I've never shifted sans clutch or power shifted or speed shifted.

**** that sucks, sorry it happened. Thats the second time I've heard of one grenading like that. Now I'm worried. L&D in Dover assures me that even if something like that happens after the warranty expires ... Triumph will participate to find out if the failure was a defect or abuse. They said if it is indeed a defect that Triumph will stand behind it and pay. Has anyone had experience with the factory and goodwill situations like that? I'm not sure I totally believe it.

I have heard of this several times where triumph will go out of there way after expiration nothing confirmed but getting the bike and not being offered like others dealers try to sell an extended warranty was something different

Back