Motorcycle hit and run

I read the report this morning. Another ancient guy driving who should not have been.

A close riding friend was killed within a block of his home that was up on the hillside near Waikiki, HI in 2002 about six months before I retired. Carl Borgnino was his name and he and his wife Barb were wonderful people. I'll never forget it. He had called me on a Saturday to go for a ride and I told him I had to work. He wanted me to ride up to his house and we'd leave from there. He told me I worked too much and he would call me later, that he was going to ride down the hill. Carl left the house on his bike and an 89 year old woman turned left in front of him. She saw him, they made eye contact and she made the turn so she wouldn't have to stop, trying to beat him to the intersection. Carl wasn't even doing 25mph. His son called me Sunday morning to tell me his dad had died at 3 AM, that morning, never having regained consciousness. The old bag should never have been driving.

Carl spent much of his life as a commercial fisherman after selling his farm in BC. We took his ashes out on a sailboat and gave him back to the sea.

I've never gotten over the "What if I had said I'd be right over and to wait for me?". He wouldn't have gotten on that that bike.

Excuse me for that walk down memory lane of sorrows but reading the report this morning reminded me of the tragic loss of my good friend.

Absolutely nothing will happen to this old man. Civil liability will be the only way to get some satisfaction and it sounds like he may have no money so he slides like most DUI and Hit and Run cases in California. California believes most offenders are actually victims themselves and so follows the leniency. DMV will retest him and if he passes he will have a short suspension of his license and then off to the races for him again.

Back