...and yet another new owner

Welcome ixtlan22! Enjoy the ride and, whatever you do, be sure to stay out of Mexico.

Okay made it to K.C.

Yeeehaaa! BBQ tomorrow!! Oh yeah...the bike...let's see...can you say "Flawless Trip?'...well except that it was 110 below leaving Iowa!!! I got some good gear before I left Waterworld (felt a little funny sitting in my airplane seat with my riding gear and helmet on).

Starting out on my journey I didn't have any riding boots...and tennies just don't get it with wind chill around 1000 below!. I figured the only thing I could do was go faster and make the pain last shorter...and of course the Rocket obliged...in fact I discovered another factory defect...my new bike seems to be stuck in "the go faster" mode...I don't get it...I try to slow it down but...half hour goes by and...there it is...hovering 80 again...I may have to take it back to the dealer maybe it needs to be detuned...or jI guess I could just buy slower gas...I don't know. (I'm really kind of surprised I didn't get a ticket for breaking the sound barrier passing a couple of trucks...but I figure they'll let me off for a while because I'm a newbie with dealer plates. and I they'd feel sorry for me because I was stupid enough to be riding in conditions that would freeze a penguin :D
Everytime I stop people ask me "are you riding in this?" I really don't know how to answer them when I'm sitting on my bike with the engine running. I usually tell them "no...I'm just sitting here wating for spring." No wonder our country's in such a mess).

Okay...Back to BBQ...I guess Gates is probably the best in KC right? Tomorrow should be a good day weather wise so I should be able to hit a couple of places...Oh and I gotta get some boots and camping gear (Cabela's) and new luggage...WoW...stressing in my retirement here...I should start a "feel sorry for me fund"...(yeah like that would go over good with BBQ sauce all over my face and that big S-eating Rocket riding grin.

The weirdest part of this trip so far...I am the only rider I've seen out here...it's like being in a cager episode of the Twilight Zone and all the other motorcycles went away. I figure I just must be in Harley country...you know...fair weather and all that.

Last thing...Rocket report. The pad on the sissy bar came off...more like fell apart...I'll have to look at it tomorrow...I was too cold to care much tonight...I think it has something to do with having half my household goods tied to the backrest. Everything else...perfect...okay.....not so perfect...I discovered that the little clock thing in the middle of the gas tank has other numbers in it (I have the R3T) Way weird...started giving me all kinds of numbers when I pushed buttons on the dashboard and stuff...I vow that tomorrow...I'm going to read the operators manual. I asked Gus at Baxters about where stuff was and how it worked...evidently he assessed my mechanical skills and concluded "you don't need to know...and don't mess with stuff!" I got the message. Actually he was very good about explaining everything until it came time to try to explain where the alternator was or the theoretical philosophy behind the computer set up and the 20 minute tune...I don't know...I was absent a lot taking a class on donuts or something.

More later...and thanks everyone for the replies...I hear you buying a camera tomorrow...but I'm guessing I'll have to get one with a really high speed shutter to even try to capture a Rocket going down the street. :D And BBQ? Texas verses KC verses Memphis, verse S.C. well if it's as good as the TV makes it all out to be...I'm gonna have a hard time deciding....if I don't croak first from smoke and cholesterol poisening...What a way to go...swinging down the street on a Rocket 3 with a mouth full of BBQ listening to dueling banjos!...hoping to find a very co-dependent farm girl who's impressed by how a yo-yo works!

KC BBQ is the best, but their Mexican is good as well. Try Manny's outside of Westport in the bottoms by the RR tracks, and Margarita's. Nothing like KC Mexican food and their version of the margarita ... Manny's has the best "stiffy" margs I've ever had ... plan on taking a nap afterward and don't drive. Wish I was there, my mouth is watering just thinking about KC chow.

This man is living my dream, of course my dream is a little warmer:D
Good luck on your 3 year journey and be safe:)

Retired with sufficient time and $$$ to do nothing but see the US on a Rocket?? Swine...

Anyway, ride safe and come see Texas. Warmer here most of the time. The Rio Grande Valley is nice this time of year.

We trudge on.

Back