Where's a good spot to relocate the air temp sensor?

Sure seems to e that it would get metter air temp readings by reading the same air that is being sucjked into the TB's. With it sitting inside of a filter with nothing pulling air thru it and on top of the head to boot, just seems it would get an eronious reading. Can I ask how you measure the air temp both ways?
I originally had mine tied to the top of the engine. Chose to put it in the actual aiarflow ofthe TB's.

I'm sure there are people on this site that are really into the performance aspect of these engines and can shed some light here.
Later

Have anyone had problems because of the location air termp sensor. I had wiring so short that sensor is between frame tubes above the engine. After installed K&Ns there´s been mysterious cut off´s and jerks, can this be due to hotter location?

I have not extended mine and it works fine. I have monitored it with a scanguage and it doesn read any hotter once moving. Make sure you didn't knock any vaccum lines loose.

I would think the air temp sensor should be mounted inside the throttle bodies where it can monitor the air temp that is flowing into the engine. Mounted in this way tells the ECU in part what to do....add more fuel or not...advance timing or not...just my thoughts:rolleyes:

I would think the air temp sensor should be mounted inside the throttle bodies where it can monitor the air temp that is flowing into the engine. Mounted in this way tells the ECU in part what to do....add more fuel or not...advance timing or not...just my thoughts:rolleyes:

As a couple of us have posted earlier in this thread, that much effort is really not necessary. Using a Scangauge you can directly monitor the readings the air temp sensor is sending to the ECU. Having had it mounted inside one of the filters (very closely mimicking the stock mounting) and having it mounted in its own filter (like Pig9R's previous post) the readings are virtually the same.

I've seen readings reading anywhere from ambient at around 30F to 140+F, in 110+ ambient, with little discernible difference in how the bike runs. Of course it has more power in cooler temps, but in no way do high temps make the engine run poorly.

As a couple of us have posted earlier in this thread, that much effort is really not necessary. Using a Scangauge you can directly monitor the readings the air temp sensor is sending to the ECU. Having had it mounted inside one of the filters (very closely mimicking the stock mounting) and having it mounted in its own filter (like Pig9R's previous post) the readings are virtually the same.

I've seen readings reading anywhere from ambient at around 30F to 140+F, in 110+ ambient, with little discernible difference in how the bike runs. Of course it has more power in cooler temps, but in no way do high temps make the engine run poorly.

I agree with you, I should have left the words throttle bodies out of my statement. Near, in, or on top of the filter should work fine. I was refering to a remote mounting that may give a much different reading.

Back