What Octane fuel do you run?

IdahoRenegade

.060 Over
Ride
Previously-2012 Rocket Roadster
I actually am reading my owner's manual-surprised? I noticed it specifies a Research Octane Number (RON) of 91. Our (US) gas is specified as the average of Research and Motoring octane ((R+M)/2 at the pump). If memory serves, RON is about 2 points higher than RM/2, so that would mean we should run 89 octane. Standard in my area is 87, mid 89, premium 91. What do you run?

ETA:
Crap-please delete this thread. I actually downloaded a different manual, must be the US one rather than British one-it specifies (R+M)/2 of 87. Sorry for any confusion. I was wondering why this would take a higher octane fuel than the Tiger.

The original Rocket manual says to use 89. However, later on the Workshop Manual says to use 87. I phoned Triumph USA a few years back and asked them which is correct. They said that it will run fine on 87 and that is all that is needed. However, later on he added that if it pings then go to 89. I don't know of anyone who has had a pinging problem, but that is nothing that can't be easily fixed anyway. I have just shy of 130,000 miles on 87.

I remember a similar discussion not so long ago, and Ive only been a member a few months. My manual says RON 91 is fine. I choose to run 98, or 95 when its not available. In Aussieland our fuel price at the moment means a difference of a dollar or two so I can afford the highest octane fuel. Most run 91 for a hundredthousand kms without issue. I run the big number stuff for the simple benefit of keeping it clean on the inside. I dont get better fuel economy. I dont get better performance. Hare to go wrong really.

I run mine on 91 or 94 when I can get it. Any higher than that is not available widely.
In Canada the low and mid grade has 10% ethanol (US might be the same I think). 91 and 94 at certain gas stations (Petrocan for example) does not have ethoanol.
I prefer my bikes burn dinosaurs rather than corn :)

Running higher octane fuel than what your engine and its current tune are designed for is wasteful and can potentially be dangerous to your system. With higher octane fuel, the timing is such that not all of the fuel is burned and is wasted out the exhaust port. The unburnt fuel ends up clogging up things like cat boxes, O2 sensors, etc.

Our Rockets are not harleys (thank God) so unless you've had some extensive mods made running Premium grade gas is bad. Just bad.

@tdragger I've always heard the same thing. I ran highest octane though my entire time in Europe and when I pulled everything apart for the update kit, everything looked great. I'm not too fussy though as long as it's not ethanol mixed, I'll run whatever is available when I need gas. The beast doesn't seem to care either; she's happy anytime the throttle's open no matter what I feed her!

Back