Triple filters are noisey

T Evans

Supercharged
I have had 2 chances now to ride my bike with the triple filters and new T/B tune on outings over 100 miles. Thanks to everybody that had a hand in helping thru this process. I can really feel the kick in the arse and the increased torque. I think the place I see the biggest difference is in 5th gear roll on's. Before, my buddy with a stock Valk could stay right with me form 60 to 100. Then the Rocket would start pulling away. Now it is a whole different story. 5th gear roll ons is no contest now.
But the reason for this post is all the added Noise that comes from the triple filters and throttle bodies. There is a certain point will throttling up that it sounds like the engine is knocking. I know that it isn't knocking but it sure sounds like it for a short time while throttling up. It happens when the butterfly valves open and you can hear everything that is happening down in each cylinder.
I am either going to have to get used to it, or design a bearclaw that will not allow this noise out. Or just go back to the under seat filter.
I wonder what the true hp gain for the triples is? And in this case it would be how many horse would I be giving back to not hear the beast sucking in all that air.
Am I the only one that feels that way?

Big T

Hell yea they're noisey!!! It's a good sound. In my BMW parts list manual they call the airbox a muffler.

A good question "T", I have been thinking about the under tank conversion as at the moment I don't want to trespass on any warranty. Having read loads of posts on different intake mods, I know the triples are noisy but I want to know what difference I would get with the K&N RU5111 under tank. Would it be significant,if not is it worth it? & what would be my advantage in a straight replacement under seat K&N. It is said that the K&N's give a better air flow but again is it worthwhile. Certainly the triple's with 2nd baffles removed would give the best increase in power but at the moment not for me.

CaptainJack,
never went with the underseat K&N, but from others who have,
and offered to give them away later after the 3 K&N change over,
I'd say, don't waste your money.

Noise

Just run a length of pinchweld rubber molding along the top of the claw, it will cut the intake noise by 50% IMO. You can still hear the intake sound but its not as loud. I moved my claw up 20mm and out 20mm and sealed it at the top with the rubber mold so I can lift the tank without removing the claw and you can see part of the filters at the bottom.

That sounds like a great idea to relocate the bolts so that it allows you to raise the fuel tank without having to remove the BC. Also about therubber seal to help reduce the noise. Do you have any pic's? If so, I would like to see how and what you did to accomplish this.

T

That knocking noise i'm told is actually the intake valves slapping closed, I was concerned with it at first too. The noise that annoys me the most is the whistling you get when the throttle is partially open and the air whistles past the plates. My MINI does that too, you can hear the super charger wind up and the throttle plate whistle from the shortened intake and oversize filter.

Back