Took it in for add ons. Ticked.

Dalan

Supercharged
Ride
2015 R3R
Well an hour and a half to the dealer to install screen and other parts ordered. The service guy pointed out I was late. Left it there, as they needed it all day to put on dresser bars, backrest, screen and highway pegs.

He calls. They forgot to order fixing kit. After two nasty hornet stings in the past week, hoping to finally get screen on. Probably another two weeks.

Oil leak on new Bosch filter I put on last night. The stock filter had to be removed with a large pair of offset pliers. I could not believe it did not deform the seal. Oil tank plug was way too tight. I wonder if they had to crank on the original filter to get it sealed. So, they are installing a Triumph filter.

Grrr.

Last edited:
Sorry but;
A. Why are you having them install highway bars, pegs, a screen and pegs. Those are some of the easiest add on's!?

B. How in the world does a dealer screw up an oil change on a bike that it is that easy to do it on! :eek:

Sorry but;
A. Why are you having them install highway bars, pegs, a screen and pegs. Those are some of the easiest add on's!?
B. How in the world does a dealer screw up an oil change on a bike that it is that easy to do it on! :eek:

Had it happen to me before from an out on the road oil change.
They torqued it on WAY too tight and I had to destroy it trying to remove the sucker.
Took TWO HOURS to get the threads off.
Me thinks that sometimes the dealer mechs worry too much about crap falling off or leaking.
A price for NOT doing your own work . . . ?

Do the work yourself. All those things are easy to do. The only thing a little bit tricky are the front Dresser bars (crash bars). You have to put a jack under the front of the engine to neutralise its weight as you will be removing a long mounting bolt. When the bolt slides out easily the you have the right pressure on the jack. Attach the bars and slide it back in and all is good.

As far as the oil filter goes, I tried a Purolater filter that somebody suggested as an alternative, and it leaked. Back to the Mobil filter and all is good. It took all of two minutes to swap them out.

Had it happen to me before from an out on the road oil change.
They torqued it on WAY too tight and I had to destroy it trying to remove the sucker.
Took TWO HOURS to get the threads off.
Me thinks that sometimes the dealer mechs worry too much about crap falling off or leaking.
A price for NOT doing your own work . . . ?
;)
The mechanics are use to working on Harleys why else would the parts have to be put on so tight.;)

Ummmmm...I'm gonna differ here. Yes I do my own maintenance and upgrades on all my bikes, but vehicles are another story. Some folks simply don't enjoy wrenching or don't feel confident enough. I enjoy working on my bikes, but could give a $hit less about anything else bit my old '63 Chevy truck. Different strokes and a dealer that is charging hard cash for a service should perform to at least some basic standard. @Dalan service your bike as you please and hold your service provider's feet to the fire for their f#ckups

If I had some dealer doing work on my bike I would constantly be paranoid something of extreme importance like a wheel etc may come loose at speed :) I have trust issues ........ Reminds me I need to check steering head bearing tensions , any tips ?

All my life, I did my own work. Hundreds and hundreds of oil changes, greasing farm equipment, splitting tractor to do clutch repairs, etc. Welding, repairing driveshafts, electrical repairs.

At 59, just wanted a bit of luxury having someone do it for a change. One gets tired sometimes, crawling in the dirt under a tractor, truck, etc.

The service rep said the Bosch filter I put on, speced elsewhere on this site, did not seat on the metal flange. Insufficient clearance. No charge for them placing the filter or for the Triumph filter. No charge for unordered parts, which they ordered.

Just finished wiring the barn with conduit and to code, unlike the romex the other guy used. Buildings to be painted before rain next month. After physical therapy this morning, current upper respiratory stuff. Ready for a tiny break, letting someone else do it.

When I told Bull I was riding a few thousand miles a year,at most, he suggested examining priorities.

When I watch friends have everything done at the dealer, no expenses spared, yeah, I would like to pretend, once in a while, I am Trump.

Make that Triumph, I guess.

Note: I took her her dusty. Came back spotless. Felt like a real customer.

Last edited:
Back