Thinking about taking the plunge

Atxrider

Standard Bore
Ride
Kawasaki Vulcan
Good morning, all!

I have been a metric rider for several years, but have decided it's time to buy a new bike. Having looked around at the metrics available, and not being overly excited about any of them, and really kit being excited about the American Beast, I started thinking about other options. This is when I found/became excited about the Rocket.

And so, I look and daydream. It looks like there are a few here in Texas that are for sale, and in a price range that I am comfortable spending.

That being said, I would love to float some questions by the group if you don't mind

1. The bike I'm looking at is an '06. The seller has it listed as a Custom Touring. I can't tell from the listing if it's an actual touring model, as it doesn't have the side bags that I've seen. They look more like aftermarket. Are there any other signs that would indicate if it is actually the touring model?

2. Any known issues with the '06 to steer away from?

3. I've read that the touring model bhp drops to 106 from 140. Is that true, and is it noticeable?

4. Having never owned a triumph, how is reliability and longevity (dad has a BMW, which I know will go to 150k miles easily, but I'm used to metric where you're lucky to get 75k)?

6. Any advice you would give someone who is transitioning from a 60bhp metric to the rocket?

I'll post the listing of the bike I'm considering. I appreciate any advice you could give.

Thanks!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/4483020769.html

G'day Atxrider, welcome to the forum.
That bike is a "classic" not a touring.
Best advise when purchasing a rocket is to buy as new as you can.
preferably 2009 onwards as pretty much all the bugs have been ironed out.
When you find one - more plunging and less thinking.

Hello ATX and welcome from Virginia. I see that this seller has a modified bike that looks pretty good. He changed the pegs to floor boards, added after market bags and top trunk and upgraded the seat. While I am no expert on the '06, I know that it has a transmission upgrade kit to fix a second gear issue/spring (Other guys here will know more about that or you can search the forum for a plethora of information). Also if it does have the Eastern Beaver headlight wiring upgrade, you'll need to add that. Otherwise, hang on tight....

G'day would-be-plunger. Agree with Mittzy's comments , buy the newest model you can afford. I've got 125,000klms on my 2007 plated 2009 purchased Standard model. Replaced a cam chain at 96,000klms other than that no real problems.

Thanks for the comments, folks! As a newbie, can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages of the classic vs touring? Seems I can pick up a classic much cheaper, and buy newer.

I appreciate everyone's quick and informative responses!

Two quite different bikes. Classic is just like a Standard model except for handlebars and floorboards instead of footpegs. Other bike has 200 rear wheel, hard bags , different front end .. lot of different parts. Google image search will show you the differences between the models.

Two quite different bikes. Classic is just like a Standard model except for handlebars and floorboards instead of footpegs. Other bike has 200 rear wheel, hard bags , different front end .. lot of different parts. Google image search will show you the differences between the models.
I love my Classics feel!!!:)

Thanks! I'd love to hear from folks who've ridden both, and their thoughts on the differences.

I just bought the 2008 Touring, with the factory hard bags for a good price. PO had done most of the upgrades such as new ignition switch and relay. Best advice would be to sit, or better yet, ride one of each if you can to make a better assessment as to what fits you best. Each model has its own distinctive features. But you will love that motor!! I had metric bikes for many years, The Rocket far exceeds any of them.

Back