Starter Relay Location Question?

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I have looked through the PDF service manual I found here on the forum for my 2013 Rocket Touring, but cannot find any reference to the location of the starter relay. On the roadster it is located behind the ECU on the right side, but all that appears to be there on the touring model is the flasher relay. The other three relays are under the cover on the left side...cooling fan, fuel pump, and engine management. When I had my fuel tank raised the other day in order to run some wires for my GIPro, there was another relay perched under the tank on the right side. Is that the starter relay location on the Rocket Touring? Where is the "Starter Relay" located on a 2013 Rocket Touring Motorcycle?

No takers on this question? I'm surprised there isn't one ace mechanic out there who knows his late model Rocket inside and out.

The 2007 PDF manual I have found here just isn't cutting it when it come to answering this question. I can see from my most recent tank raising there have been some changes to my late model R3T. I have been in contact with a dealer and base on my VIN number, he can get me me a current manual for $106.87. It's back ordered for 2-3 weeks. I guess if I want a definitive answer I'll have to order a manual. Thereafter, I will be able to answer all of your question about the 2013 electrical system and wiring. :)

I thought that it had been decided by members here the Touring did not have a flasher relay but it was part of the ecu or dash due to the self canceling feature. Someone was having trouble and pulled every relay without affecting flashers. Are you sure that's not the stater relay on right side.

I thought that it had been decided by members here the Touring did not have a flasher relay but it was part of the ecu or dash due to the self canceling feature. Someone was having trouble and pulled every relay without affecting flashers. Are you sure that's not the stater relay on right side.

Well, that may very well be possible, but I don't have an accurate up to date wiring diagram for a 2013 touring to determine that for sure. (I know, I'm a just being a *****for trying to work on fact.) That still doesn't explain what the relay is I discovered underneath the gas tank when I raised it up to run some wires. I have not seen anything about a relay being located under the tank and if someone was pulling relays maybe they missed that one during the pull...therefore, making the assumption the flasher circuit was controlled by the ECU. I count 5 relays. I had to wonder if Triumph had added a relay for the lighting circuit because of all the reports of ignition switch issues even though the problem seems to be more of a problem with the dual light roadster. If it wasn't such a pain to drain and raise the tank and if I had planned ahead for this post, I would have taken a picture of the hidden relay in question.

Yes, on page 18-39 (disclaimer: I've looked at my bike, and can't add anything that is fact from direct observation), there is a drawing showing the right side of the Touring and the single relay labeled "Flasher Unit".

Then, on pages 18-60, 61 "Starting and Charging Circuit - Rocket III Touring", Key 15 is "Starter Relay" both in the table and clearly a stand-alone part connecting the starter (black wire), the ECM (yellow/brown wire), the starter switch (white/orange wire), and fuse 9 in the fuse box (blue/yellow wire), which is also energized by the ignition switch.

Page 18-77 is the wiring diagram for R3T w/ABS, and that one again shows the ignition switch through fuse 9 and a blue/yellow wire to the starter relay (this time, Key 70).

Back in section 11 on page 27 is found the "Circuit Diagram - Engine Management System - Rocket III Touring". There, key 35 is the engine control module, and pin B05 is wired to Key 31 - starter relay.

I saw a reference to the starter relay being behind the ECM on the right side of the R3T, though I cannot confirm it. Really scary in this search is the part that says to work on the alternator, one needs to free the engine by disconnecting everything, and lifting the frame off the engine.

No takers on this question? I'm surprised there isn't one ace mechanic out there who knows his late model Rocket inside and out.

The 2007 PDF manual I have found here just isn't cutting it when it come to answering this question. I can see from my most recent tank raising there have been some changes to my late model R3T. I have been in contact with a dealer and base on my VIN number, he can get me me a current manual for $106.87. It's back ordered for 2-3 weeks. I guess if I want a definitive answer I'll have to order a manual. Thereafter, I will be able to answer all of your question about the 2013 electrical system and wiring. :)

This is where I bought my service manual 60 bucks.
http://www.sell.com/247JC9
Bust off the binding punch holes in it and put it in a three binder. I took mine to staples 10 bucks.

Yes, on page 18-39 (disclaimer: I've looked at my bike, and can't add anything that is fact from direct observation), there is a drawing showing the right side of the Touring and the single relay labeled "Flasher Unit".

Then, on pages 18-60, 61 "Starting and Charging Circuit - Rocket III Touring", Key 15 is "Starter Relay" both in the table and clearly a stand-alone part connecting the starter (black wire), the ECM (yellow/brown wire), the starter switch (white/orange wire), and fuse 9 in the fuse box (blue/yellow wire), which is also energized by the ignition switch.

Page 18-77 is the wiring diagram for R3T w/ABS, and that one again shows the ignition switch through fuse 9 and a blue/yellow wire to the starter relay (this time, Key 70).

Back in section 11 on page 27 is found the "Circuit Diagram - Engine Management System - Rocket III Touring". There, key 35 is the engine control module, and pin B05 is wired to Key 31 - starter relay.

I saw a reference to the starter relay being behind the ECM on the right side of the R3T, though I cannot confirm it. Really scary in this search is the part that says to work on the alternator, one needs to free the engine by disconnecting everything, and lifting the frame off the engine.

Thanks for the reply Joesmoe! What you have described is pretty much what I have seen from studying the wiring diagrams of the "old" PDF. The picture of the wiring harness for the R3T only shows 4 relays on the harness...3 on the left and 1 on the right. From a YouTube video I watched, the starter relay is located behind the ECU on the Roadster, at least it was on that video. This is not the case on the touring version. With that said, the old PDF doesn't show a relay under the tank where I found it. Again, thanks for,taking the time to type all that out. If I can lay my hands on a current manual I'll have the answer I am looking for.

I have the paper version of the current manual . . . hence the difficulty to search for specific terms.

And on the topic of flasher, the wiring diagram shows wiring going directly from the turn signal switch (left and right wires) to the respective paired front and rear indicators. The only other component shown wired in line with the indicator switch is a "diode pack" which is then run to the instrument panel. There are no other attached components nor connections, lending some credence to the post of Ygransom that the relay on the right side is for something else. Sorry, I'm not motivated enough to peel back the wrapping tape to identify the wiring number and colors.

If you would like to do that, and report back to me what you find, I would take the information supplied and check it against the wiring diagram, then we'd both know. ;-)

This is where I bought my service manual 60 bucks.
http://www.sell.com/247JC9
Bust off the binding punch holes in it and put it in a three binder. I took mine to staples 10 bucks.

Thanks for the post. I did run across the site you posted when searching for a current manual. The problem is, the part reference number appears to be an earlier version T3851160. The site say it covers to year 2014 but I doubt it. The part number on the service manual I need, at least according to the dealer, is T3851570. This is based on the VIN number for my bike. All I really need is the complete electrical system because I doubt if much has change with the general service except for ABS which I don't have. Thanks again.

Back