Source of heat under the seat.

JMichael

.020 Over
I am wondering what is the primary source of heat that I feel heating up the Rocket seat. Could it be coming from the cat, or is it coming from the back of the motor? Anyone with an opinion about this?
You would think with Triumph designing the air intake to pass through the under portion of the seat it would do a better job of keeping the seat cool, ( mainly in the hot summer months).

If the Rocket seat is mounted on your Ultra Classic that would be the problem right there given the Hardley's tendency to overheat.:D

Seriously, though, having lived for years up in your neck of the woods (Chico), I'd be hard pressed to believe that the heat is coming up from the cat box, especially at this time of the year. tis bike's header gets pretty hot but that doesn't really explain the seat getting toasty

Not to be overly personal, but do you or your passenger(s) have excessively hot buns?;)
Perhaps, if you bought the bike used, you have a heated seat?:p

Back to being serious... I've never heard or read about this concern before.:confused: Has anyone else?

only reason my seat gets warm is in the sun or travelling way to slow, to fix this just wind the bloody throttle on man, and get your arse moving!!!!:D

I should fill in the whole story. I am in the process fo buying back my 05 Rocket. I sold it 3 years ago. One of the traits of the bike I remember and didn't like was the heat I used to feel coming up through the seat (mostly when going slow in town during the summer months). I was hoping when I had the seat recovered by Russell Day Long Saddles, it would fix the issue, it didn't. So, while I wait to complete the transaction to return the bike to me, I was thinking about how I might address the problem. I had TORs and cat by-pass put on the bike when I originally purchased the bike. I remember looking at the cat by-pass and thinking there must have been a better way to build it. So, with all that hot exhaust gasses crossing back and forth under the frame and packing its self from the back pressure, I am wondering if that is the source of the heat under the seat. Something like a Jardine system looks like it eliminates a lot of unnessary plumbing under the frame and could lead to a cooler seat. ???????

That riding condtition (slow traffic / hot weather ) is exactly what I figured you meant. I believe the Jardines do help. I've had them for a few years now. I've had the stock exhaust, TORs/cat bypass, and settled on Jardines after I heard Britman's bike at RAA III.. :) However, they are much louder than the TORs. I love the sound of them though and they are not nearly as loud as most of the HDs at our local bike night.

Also.. I don't know if you run a windshield like the Roadster screen or not, but that sucker traps a butt load of heat at a stop that comes up from the radiator. I run the fly screen year round, but I tried the Roadster screen for a while and couldn't deal with the heat at a stand still. I'm not a windshield guy anyway.. I just run the fly screen year round.

Back