somebody help me p l e a s e

got the pictures,
Before you go crazy taking her apart see if the large chips in the rear screen are magnetic or not. Usually there is a lot more when the bearing goes bad. Of course you might have caught it earlier then most. It would be nice if you had access to a scope so you could go up and look around before you take her apart.I bought the expensive one at harbor frieght it even takes picture and video. I think it was just under 250.00

If it is just the TDU bearing you can change it like Val did by just lifting up the rear frame. I would also cut open the oil filter for a look see.

Warp, you're a bugger but I'm glad you're a bugger, and a thinking bugger at that. I'm glad there are people like you on here. Anyway when I got home this evening I got my magnet out and started looking for some of those pieces I cleaned out of the screen, I couldn't find any with the magnet so I got on my hands and knees and started looking and I found a good many of the bigger pieces, they are NOT magnetic, I assume they are what you suspected, aluminum.

I did notice when I was backing it in the garage I could distinctively hear the ring and pinion meshing in the bevel box, enough that it got my attention, I thought it was fairly loud and I had said before that the noise sounds like the differential was going bad, there is a howling noise with a vibration 2000 rpm and lower on decel in all gears. I did open the bevel box and visually look at the gears and they looked fine.

needless to say I'm still open for suggestions.

Could a few of you guys check to see if you can hear the gears meshing in the bevel box while pushing the bike forward and back wards with engine off and bike in neutral and let me know, I would really appreciate it,

thanks check the pic below

http://www.r3owners.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3755&stc=1&d=1337816703

Attachments

• from screen on R3 (2).jpg
    from screen on R3 (2).jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 114
OK John for now lets forget about the chips as I think they are machining swarf. If you had pulled the sump when changing the TDU you might have noticed them then. Now the bevel box I assume when your hearing the noise it is full of oil? (when your rolling her back and forth) If so I would first be chacking all wheel bearings as they also could be transfering a grinding or bearings with flat worn on them noise. I beleav the rea has three two in the cushion drive unit and one on the right side of the wheel. How many miles did you say were on it?

I have to go to work, gotta set a modular today, I check in later. Thanks for all of your help Scott. I really appreciate it

**** your lucky I get to go to prison everyday :D

Of course the job gets exciting every now and then but we like it boring !!!!

Need to check wheel bearings if you never had them changed. The front also you don't want the wheels to lock up. IMO sometime the spacer between the bearing gives a false feel because of drag between both so be picky !!!!

Possible answer

I have an 07 classic tourer, 28000 miles and i have a vibration/howling noise on decel, anywhere under 2000 rpm, in all gears, louder in lower gears. The vibration is in the floorboards, left rear shock, (sitting on the bike). I have replaced the torsional dampner with new case, checked the u-joint, lubed the splines, checked rear wheel bearings, I even opened the bevel box and inspected the ring and pinion, thought for sure I would see some unusual wear, NOTHING ! I have put about 250 miles on since changing the torsional dampner and nothing has changed. Didn't find anything unusual when I drained the oil from the crank case. My last stitch of hope was to open the clutch and inspect it, opened it last night, I didn't open the clutch pack yet but when I opened the case everything look solid as a rock, I thought for sure something would be falling apart but NOTHING. The howling noise sounds like the gears in the differential, anywhere at 2000 rpm and lower I hear it. The tranny works real good, easy to find neutral and normal riding is all good. I'm just afraid to take the bike on an all day ride. If I cant find anything in the clutch the only thing else I can think of is to switch out the bevel box and try that.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love the bike......but I love to ride also and tired of not being able to ride.

I have a mate who had a similar issue on a 2005 model. However they did change the rear output shaft bearing. The early ones had a smaller bearing and housing than the later models. His was a silver motor but now has a black rear housing on the back of the gearbox. If the vibration or growl is consistent in every gear then it has to be something on the main output shaft. Possibly a bearing.

Try to isolate exactly when it creates the problem ie in each gear, under acceleration or deceleration, or rolling etc. ????

Size does matter

My differential case doesn't make any noise at all when moving the bike or when spinning the back wheel with bike lifted. The only sound is the disc pads lightly rubbing on the rotor.

My differential case doesn't make any noise at all when moving the bike or when spinning the back wheel with bike lifted. The only sound is the disc pads lightly rubbing on the rotor.

Thanks RS. I appreciate it. I didn't think it should very noticeable. I'd like to get some more input on this.

Back