Should my ignition lights come on?

simonjrwinter

.020 Over
The rocket I've recently bought was stolen and recovered, and several parts were "liberated" by the thieves.
I'm missing the coils and all the parts from inside the tank so the tank connector and coil wires are all hanging lose and unconnected.
I connected up a battery yesterday and turned on the ignition and no light or any sort of activity happened.
Should anything happen with so much disconnected or will the open circuits prevent anything happening at all?
Obviously as I bought the bike without these parts, I didn't hear it run so I'm aware it could have other "issues"
Any advice appreciated

Simon

The answer to your question is "yes". When the key is turned on the lights come to life and the needles on the gauges sweep to the right one time. While touring models and roadsters share a lot of similarities there are also some significant differences. It would be helpful in answering your future questions if you would put at least the year and model of the bike in your avatar so folks have a better idea what they are trying to help you with.

Sorry guys,
It's a 2010 classic. Yes ECU is still there.
When connecting a battery, the oil and engine lights along with the mileage (all zero's) briefly flash on then go out. turning on the ignition, brings up nothing on the gauges, they don't move or flash but the headlight/taillight come on and the brake lights work when applied?
There also seem to be a very quiet "click" from the ECU area when the ignition is switched on as well.
Everything is plugged in apart from the coils and fuel pump (which are missing)
Has anyone ever unplugged their coil/fuel pump and found anything strange happens? I'm hoping I don't have an ECU issue!
Thanks
Simon

Attachments

• rocket v5.jpg
    rocket v5.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 63
Oh really?

its not a classic brother trust me my insurance paperwork says classic also but mine is a standard . last classics wher 08/09. 2010 onwards are roadster and have abs brakes and 3into two exhaust standard/ classic is three into 3 exhaust . If it hasnt got two tone paint and floorboards it isnt a classic . Maybe first rego was in 2010 but if its a classic it isnt a 2010 model bike. and if it is a 2010 model it isnt a classic. any pics of the bike? then we will know what she is. Just because the rego papers say classic doesnt make it so ;)

Last edited:
triumph-rocket-3-classic-2008-vermelha_MLB-F-5211908275_102013.jpg
triumph21656280007284.jpg
classics also came out with a chrome valve cover and standard and roadster did not. It could be purchased as a genuine part and fitted but only the classic came out with it also notice the side cover says rocket 3 classic on it? if they say rocket III 2300cc its not a classic if they say rocket III classic then it is. I know this isnt helping with your electrical issue but its always good to know what you are riding 2010? maybe classic? maybe but it cant be both

Last edited:
Back