Rockets Across America Recap Part 1

raymond braswell

Turbocharged
We did it! There are things we learned that we can improve on next year, but all in all it was a great trip from my perspective. I very much enjoy our close knit r3 owners site, but to meet some of the guys makes it even more real. I left Kansas City on Thursday with Rusty and Pianoman. We Rocketed across the State of Missouri headed for a Rusy's sisters house in Arkansas just west of Memphis. I am all about the quality of the ride versus how fast I can get somewhere. Rusty and Dave are more about how fast they can make it. But I very much enjoyed riding with them. The only bad part of this leg was in some beautiful minor twisties in North Arkansas where I slowed Rusty and Dave down by enjoying the scenery. And then I caught sight of a bike and sidecar behind me...gaining. Holy ****, no way I would live this down if a sidecar passed me so we cranked it up a notch and got to Rusty's sister Penny's house. No words can express my gratitude for the hospitality we received. And Penny rides her own bike! The next morning we headed for Smashville. But took a side trip into Memphis to a little BBQ restaurant I know and knew Pianoman, who loves his BBQ, would enjoy. The Rendevous has been there forever and did not dissappoint us. Dry spiced Memphis style rids, a real treat. From there we drove accross some beautiful country, and again I was taking in the sights and watched Pianoman burn up the pavement ahead of me. So much for BLACKISFASTER! We arrived at the Taliban 8 and I for one was pleasantly surprised. Clean and biker friendly. And then it happened...I met two wonderful people, Ed and Carol who joined our group on Harleys that have seen the country and their friend...... Flip. There is no descibing Flip. A one of a kind. They did not break the mold when he was born, there was no mold. But with all jokes aside, this is one genuine person I am glad to now be able to call a friend. I would not stay in the same room with him like Rusty did cause he would drive me crazy, but I'd be his wingman anytime! Once everyone arrived and rested up a bit we let Molinoman guide us to Hooter's...probably one of the worst rides of my life. We had Rockets streached out all over the Interstate with Semi's cutting us off half of us lost need I say more. But we made it to hooter's and started to get to know one another. Are the girls getting younger there? I have shoes older than most. Better ride back to Taliban 8 and a well needed rest after drinking a few beers with Britman, Rusty and Flip...who proceeded to tell us more about steer ****, ethenol, farming and life than I ever wanted to know.
That was Part 1, stay tuned for Part 2.

Rocets Across America Recap Part 2

Saturday morning we headed for the Triumph dealership and a mini RAT Ride led by a great guy named Ray who has done this for a long time. He took us on some great two lanes in the hills of north Nashville. On one leg of that ride I came within ten feet of a headon collision with a deer. I saw it come on the road and stop, barreling down on me from behind was Ed, Carol, Flip and a couple others. I was torn between hitting the breaks hard and being run over by the bikes behind me, or playing the deer like a linebacker and making my cut at the last minute. I chose the latter and within a few feet the deer scamppered up the hill. Later at lunch Flip advised me that he was carrying a first aide kit and could have patched me back together if I had hit it. I asked Flip if he would have tended to me first, or after he dressed the deer. Even after his answer that he would have tended to me first, the smile and glint in his eye makes me wonder. A great ride ended back at the dealership where Scott in Exiles friend Joseph traded in his Harley for a Rocket! Fantastic.

Stay tuned for Part 3

Rockets Across America Part 3

Back to the Taliban 8 after our ride. Now here's where it gets weird. I did not have a throttle lock on my R3 and the 450 miles Rusty and Pianoman and I put on the first day almost killed me! My hand was so sore from keeping the throttle powered up with no relief was rough. Flip said he could fix that for 18 cents with a rubber washer. Fit inside it would create tension and hold the throttle open for a bit while I exercised my hand. The good news is he did it and it worked like a charm on the way back to KC. The bad news is to get the part Flip rode ***** on the back of my bike to the hardware store. On the way back we passed a hot chick on the side of the road with a sign that read
" Hungry and Broke ". I was about ready to stop, because I am not broke but hungry (if you know what I mean). And then I realized who was on the back of my bike. 'Check Please'! To make matters worse, when we arrived back at the Taliban 8 Brittman was on the balcony snapping photos between rib breaking laughs. Moral:
  • Part to fix throttle $.18
  • Gas to hardware store $. 15
  • Labor to install part $1.00 and a beer
  • Girl in short skirt wanting ride Priceless
  • Flip riding ***** What was I thinking!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Rockets Across America Recap Part 4

After my adventure with Throttle Meister Flip, I was ready to head to the Bikini Beach Biker Bar to meet up with Her3tic and his absolutly adorable wife Amy who stayed at another hotel across town (mistake). But Brittman, Pianoman and Rusty pussied out on me. So I headed out by myself. The Bar was everything it was made out to be. Molinoman, ScottinExile and new Rocket captain Joseph were already leaving when I arrived, so I hung out with Her3tic and Amy. The photos don't do it justice. It was fun. Her3tic cautioned Amy that I really enjoy women and to be careful. I am sure Amy will attest that I was a perfect gentleman. The owners treated us to free food and Her3tic got smashed and took about 1000 photos, some of bikers I don't think really wanted their photos taken. We had fun.

Last edited:
Rockets Across America Recap Part 5

Sunday morning we met up for breakfast. Brittman had already left (4am) I am sure to get back to make posters of Flip riding ***** on the back of my bike. Pianoman and Rusty were headed out to burn it back to KC on the interstate. Not appealing to me, I decided to take the Interstate for only an hour and then two lane it back. After giving my ***** Flip a hug and saying goodbye to Ed and Carol, I took off for home solo. When I left the slab, I went through a charming town Cadiz, then on through the 'Land Between the Lakes. I arrived in Paducca and went into town by the waterfront, met a nice young lady, had lunch on the river and headed out. Took 60 through the Mark Twain Forrest and stopped and stayed in a rustic hotel called Bullwinkles that had a great bar attached. Departed the next morning and rode some great twisties in the mountains and then on to Springfield and a quick 2 1/2 hour ride home. On that streach I hooked up with about 25 Harleys who seemed to fully respect the Rocket. We rode all the way into Kansas City and I went straight to my favorite watering hole to tell my tales to my buds. Slept like a baby last night, but woke up with a start from a dream that Flip had moved in with me.:eek:

Last edited:
Rockets Across America Recap Part 6

All of us that made the trip agreed that we should make this an annual adventure with a few minor tweeks. God willing I will organize the trip next year and would like input from others. Following are some thoughts generated in Nashville:
  1. Needs to be a smaller town. To difficult for a big group to negotiate travel between places on crowded city interstates.
  2. Everyone needs to stay in the same hotel.
  3. We plan what we want to do first and then pick the best hotel based on logistics.
  4. We need to recruit a minimum of 25 Rockets for next year.
  5. Activities are great, but we need a place we have more time to just sit around and shoot the ****.
  6. This was the right amount of time Fri-Sunday
  7. The guide at the dealership to take us on a day trip was great, a must for next year, or if the small town has no dealership we need to find a local biker

Last edited:
Rockets Across America Recap Final

I am very happy to have provided a little leadership to help make this happen. I learned again on this trip what motorcycling is all about. It's all about the ride and the people you meet. My father used to always say that everyone walks through life carrying an imaginary bucket. Each time you meet a new person you get a drop of water in your bucket, and the one with the most water in their bucket at the end wins. Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I have some great new water in my bucket and memories that will last a lifetime. (Unfortunatly Flip riding ***** is one that I hope diminishes soon!)

Rockets Across America II "The Raid on Nashville"

:bch:​

Last edited:
Thanks for the Push Raymond

Good job on getting this group motivated and moving in the right direction. Both your post and Flip's sums up the good time had by all and brings out allot of memories I will have of this trip, to meet a bunch of new old friends from the web. About that picture, NOT YET-WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT. I am still afraid if it is posted I will either wake one morning to find 40 barn cats in my garage or find my whole neighborhood being developed for a home for biker hating transvestites addicted to crack. My best to Baggage 1 also, an awful way to miss the trip.

Looking forward to the incriminating photo I am sure you will post when I least expect it. Oh, and by the way, could you send me a topo of your neighborhood? And Flip, you might want to send Brittman the names of his new cats.:p

Back