Rear Shock Preload Setting

Jeff Cameron

Supercharged
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
I have left my 2014 Roadster rear shock's preload setting at the middle (3 of 5) setting that the bike was delivered in. I weight 235 pounds and only ride single. I have found that the bike has a firm ride but that over frost cracks (sorry for the strange term for the Australians!) the ride is very harsh. It seems that the shocks can not react fast enough to keep the back tire in contact with the road. This would seem to me that there is too much preload on the rear suspension. I had decided to leave the preload setting as it was thinking that after I put a few miles on the bike things would loosen up a bit but now I realize that will not be happening. I am going to drop one setting and try that. I just don't want to have it too soft so that the bike wallows. What settings are people running the bike at?

12_04.jpg

Every spring they pour melted tar into the cracks to fill the gap....This makes a mini speed bump when you drive over it.

I run mine on 5 and have the same influrncr on gravity at 290 lbs and ride solo

I thought that I had read somewhere that the shocks on the last few model years were upgraded over the previous models. I think also that the Roadster and the Touring shocks are different parts.

I thought that I had read somewhere that the shocks on the last few model years were upgraded over the previous models. I think also that the Roadster and the Touring shocks are different parts.

Yes they are different dont know about the upgread but I am putting hagons on got them just have not put them on yet had them on the other touring and loved them so same for this one

@Jeff Cameron
On my 2012 Roadster - I $hit canned the stock shocks after a couple hundred miles.
They were terrible if you run 250+ pounds and ride HARD!
I much prefer the damping on my Progressive 444s. The Hagon Nitro's are good shockies as well.
Shoot for about 30mm sag when setting your preload.

Steve you beat me to it I was going to say that if you allow aprox 1 inch of sag that you (all your weight needs to be squarely on bike with feet on pegs/boards)on the bike holding up by holding a fence or something and get some one to measure.
the best solution is change to a shock that you can adjust the damping on such as the Hagon Nitro and also there are a few other reputable brands out there ie Progressives in the lower price bracket if you have a large wallet you could look at Wilbers to name just one

When I first got my 2011 Roadster I was very disappointed with the rear suspension - I found it trying to buck me off even over moderate bumps. In saying that I had just upgraded from a mono-shock Sprint ST and the Rocket was delivered with a preload setting of ONE :confused:.

I bumped the preload up to 2 for a while but still found that the bike tended to wallow through the faster sweepers. I have now settled for position 3, which serves me okay. Two other factors that I think have come into the equation are that the suspension has had time to settle in and I have got used to the ride, and what to expect from the Rocket.

Back