vanguard138

Living Legend
Ride
2013 Rocket III Touring
Hi all,

I know there is a LOT of discussion on TuneECU. Because of that I want to clarify some things for myself. R3T comments only please, I confuse easily:D

1. Is the Crescent Technologies cable on Amazon the preferred cable?
2. I have Windows VISTA on my 64 bit laptop. Any problems with this?
3. Also, I hook up to the internet with PDANet using my Droid phone. 4G connection but only 3 bars out here in the country. I can go to the library and use their wifi to download if necessary.
4. Is Waynes R3T map the one to go with?
5. Is this beneficial without changing to K&N and no exhaust changes? Not sure I want to hear the drone of louder pipes.
6. From what I have read, you are supposed to take the headlight fuse out and hook up a charger. I take it the battery tender will not provide enough juice.

My hope is to get a bit more torque and a slight increase in mileage with 87 octane. Also I VERY often pull my Bushtec trailer. Getting my 30,000 mile tuneup done in about a week on my 2013 R3T.

Should I have the dealer do the tune or attempt to do it myself after my 30,000 mile. Old schedule, valves will be checked.

Thanks,

Rick

Holy cwap batman, 30,000 on a 2013, boy, you do some riding! I'd say, if you're stock, have the dealer see if you have the newer "unrestricted" map. If not, they should be able to load it up for you no problem. And you won't have to buy nuttin!:)

Hi all,

I know there is a LOT of discussion on TuneECU. Because of that I want to clarify some things for myself. R3T comments only please, I confuse easily:D

3. Also, I hook up to the internet with PDANet using my Droid phone. 4G connection but only 3 bars out here in the country. I can go to the library and use their wifi to download if necessary.
4. Is Waynes R3T map the one to go with?
5. Is this beneficial without changing to K&N and no exhaust changes? Not sure I want to hear the drone of louder pipes.
6. From what I have read, you are supposed to take the headlight fuse out and hook up a charger. I take it the battery tender will not provide enough juice.

My hope is to get a bit more torque and a slight increase in mileage with 87 octane. Also I VERY often pull my Bushtec trailer. Getting my 30,000 mile tuneup done in about a week on my 2013 R3T.

Should I have the dealer do the tune or attempt to do it myself after my 30,000 mile. Old schedule, valves will be checked.

Thanks,

Rick

TuneECU is supposed to work with VISTA 64 bit. The cable sounds right. I got mine off Amazon for TuneECU for Triumphs.

From the TuneECU site, you need to download the manual and under downloads, follow the link to ftdi drivers (save them in a folder on your laptop), and the latest version of the program (save this to a folder on your laptop). There are instructions for the cable driver installation on this forum. Make sure you are not connected to the internet when you do it.

The battery should be on a Tender with the headlight fuse out when you read the tune in the ecu. When you are downloading to the ECU, replace the fuse.

Wayne's tune is for R3T with aftermarket slip ons like the TOR's. Since you don't have them, this tune isn't for you. The dealer can only load stock tunes.

The new R3R tune is unrestricted only because they opened the secondaries 100% in nearly all cells (RPM vs TP). This is the only difference between the previous version and the new version. The fueling is identical. So, you could open the secondaries in the tune you read from your ECU, save it with a unique file name, then download it to the ECU. Then see if it seems to have more power and dyno it to make sure it isn't running lean.

well, the reviews on amazon claim that the tuneecu program has all the correct drivers and works a treat - this was not my experience and my laptop and ecu wouldn't connect, so mine goes back. The guys are very helpful but i dont want to risk screwing it all up. Tune ECU looks easy enough as a program.

Rick wayne helped me with mine over the phone I left mine on the tender and the head light fuse in and had no trouble but I know they say this is not the way to do it I will be in Lansing MI in a few weeks if you want me to bring you up my cable to use I can then I'll get it back later better yet your do for a good ride to RAA TX take the long route go by Waynes and let him do a set up on it :p then ya know it'd be good

Rick
Rick

I believe Wayne Tripp sells cables - YOU KNOW HIS WILL WORK!

64bit VISTA is possibly the worst Operating System I have had the displeasure of working with. make sure you keep the drivers handy on a pendrive etc - Vista has a tendency to corrupt them. I fight with Windows daily - keeps me in work.

I think in your case I really suggest a visit to a GOOD Dyno guy. Get him to optimise a tune for YOUR bike not load a generic tune. Without any shadow of a doubt this is the BEST solution.

That or look at PCV-A/T or Dobeck AFR options.

Back