Long Tan Day in Australia.

TOMCAT

Rage against the machine
Ride
2009 RIII Standard - 2008 Speed Triple -1995 900 T'Bird
Australia commemorates the Battle of Long Tan today. A small number of Australian servicemen fought a savage battle against a vastly overwhelming number of Vietnamese troops. I have a great deal of respect for our Vietnam Veterans. For the hardships they endured while overseas and on their return home.

Thanks for posting this TC, as it is good to promote this awareness and not forget our history. Good Onya mate:thumbsup:

When i first got posted to Enoggera in 1991 there were still a good number of Vietnam Vets serving and posted to Enoggera barracks . Buddy Lea was a regular sight around the Barracks , here's his story at the battle of Long Tan

Some sad news this week. Buddy Lea who was a [Corporal] section commander in 10 Platoon, D Company 6RAR during the Battle of Long Tan has just been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Please help me pass on lots and lots of best wishes and let him know that we're all thinking of him and his family at this difficult time. Buddy is one of the nicest and funniest human beings I've ever met!!

Corporal Buddy Lea rushed out through the D Coy lines under enemy fire during the battle to drag the wounded 12 Platoon Sgt Paddy Todd back into their defensive perimeter.

The wounded Sgt Paddy Todd was edging closer to the D Coy position, crawling along the ground in the mud and rain, when one of Buddy Lea’s machinegunners opened fire on Paddy. As Buddy says, “luckily he was a bad shot because he missed Paddy”. Paddy Todd took off his hat and yelled some Australian expletives. Buddy Lea heard him and disregarding the bullets flying thick and fast ran out to grab Paddy. Lea began to help Paddy get to the company aid post some 50 metres behind the front lines. On the way there was a reasonably large tree and the two had a bit of a spell there. Paddy looked up and could see two characters coming towards them in black. Paddy said, “Hey Buddy, have a look there.” Buddy said, “That’ll be A Coy they are on their way’. Paddy said, “Well, they must have changed uniforms mate, because they are all in black.” Buddy went behind a tree. One VC was in front of the other with an AK47. Buddy stepped out and let go, but this VC fellow was too quick and got Buddy in the left shoulder. Paddy laughing out loud said, “You silly old bastard!” Paddy couldn’t believe they were now both wounded trying to help each back to the aid post but Lea didn’t even realise he was hit as the adrenaline was pumping.

On the way back to the aid post they had to stop a couple of times and on one of these occasions, Jack Jewry, Lea’s section 2IC noticed that part of Lea’s shirt had come off his back and there was blood. Lea was kneeling down keeping an eye on enemy movement and Jewry came up behind Lea to help bandage his wound when suddenly Jewry fell across Lea’s back. Jewry was shot and killed trying to help Buddy.

Buddy Lea and Paddy Todd eventually mad it to the company aid post and survived the battle.

Here;'s a funny story about the old man , he joined chockos Combat Medic in 65 , he was due to deploy later that year to Nam , unfortunately Mum didnt want him to go as she was 4 moths pregnant with my Sister . Because he had a very sketchy history with the law he had joined under his brothers name and birth certificate , Mum promptly marched into the CO's office and informed him of Dads dodgy enlistment hahaha , he never forgave her for that till the day he died.

Thanks wrecka 6RAR a fine bunch of riflemen I know from there .Vietnam vets are still doing a great job looking after our returned military ,good on you guys for bringing to our attention

Lots of respect for the guys that served, The Vietnam Vets got the raw end of the stick when they returned thats for sure, Glad they have got the proper recognition they deserve now.
just my small way of saying thanks is going to the ANZAC dawn service at the local VVMC clubhouse each year

Never been anywhere like the Vietnam Veterans Bunker .. it's just an awesome place for those blokes to get together and do for each other like no-one else can. All their beautiful wives (the doves) taking care of their men , it's a truly special place .. always felt privileged when I was invited down there.

Brother of one of my best mates got conscripted and killed. If the war had gone on for a couple more years I might have been there, along with others of my vintage. Nightly viewing on TV, demonstrations, moratorium badges, the music. For me it's hard to forget but always good to be reminded. Imagine our kids being forced to go through that today. Bad enough for those thrust into war as part of their vocation, but being sent against your will? Inconceivable.

Respect and thanks to the vets. I would have probably been conscripted but for a birth defect. I was born about a year or so too late.

Back