Long Haul seat question

Saboteur is absolutely correct...period. You don't have to lift weights...just going out walking at a very brisk pace does the trick for me along with watching what I eat. You can get your weight down to some extent by watching your intake but the burning of calories is where it is at. If you walk and don't run you tend to lose more weight as since it takes longer to walk the same distance as it does to run it your body is getting more exercise just because of the time involved. Walking briskly tends to keep your heart rate up as much as running so you get better results because of this. I am walking more now at night than I ever have and feel better. When I was overseas in Afghanistan since I didn't a vehicle assigned to me I used to go over at around 260 lbs and in a couple of months, with all the walking, I would be around the 235 to 240 mark. The 24 day vacation my wife and I took when I returned from Afghanistan in 2011 just about killed me in weight gain (went from 238 to 263 during that time because of all that driving, eating, minimal walking around and repeating the routine everyday for those 24 days. Since I may be going back overseas again sometime after July, hopefully, I am trying to lose a lot of that weight.

As for the seats on the R3T...the original one was pretty comfy for me (on my Rocket Classic I would go about 80 to 100 miles and have to get off and walk around some before writing further) I didn't really notice any discomfort but I did move up to the Long Haul Touring seat with the backrest as I do like that backrest for good support while traveling. On my recent "almost" trip to Daytona in March I rode comfortably and didn't stop once for a "break" other than filling up the gas tank.

Good luck in whatever way you choose to handle getting comfortable in the seat.

Dennis
I haven't been able to run in a long time- bad knees. I x-country ski all winter, and bicycle and kayak, and hike when the weather warms. All this takes me away from time on my R-3 and dual sport, but it's a pretty good trade off, all things considered.

I was thinking holy ****e when I read of the resting metabolic rate of 2800 calories/day. I don't think I consume anywhere near 2000 cal/day these days... but I'm trying to get a bit closer to 170, a weight which makes me feel pretty good, and not a bit extra for the knees to carry.

Anything under 1800 kcal for a man is pushing it, that is so low that the organs are at risk of being starved.

Here's a calculator that can give a guideline for the resting metabolic rate (the only accurate way to determine it is via direct examination by experts.) On top of that comes all the moving around and exercise one does.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Anything under 1800 kcal for a man is pushing it, that is so low that the organs are at risk of being starved.

Here's a calculator that can give a guideline for the resting metabolic rate (the only accurate way to determine it is via direct examination by experts.) On top of that comes all the moving around and exercise one does.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Thanks for that calculator. I checked it out, and my resting metabolism rate appears to be under 1700 these days if the calculator can be believed.

Several years ago I went to a weight management program at a major university and they experimentally determined my resting metabolism (using a human exhaust gas analyzer - normal exhaust being from the lungs, not the other end).

I weighed well into the 320's at the time, and my resting metabolism just to keep all that fat going was up around 2400 calories per day.

They gave me recommended diet building blocks based on food pyramid ideas, and they allowed me to shift it away from carbs and toward protein since I always considered myself to be carnivorous first, and omniverous second.

This stuff worked for a month or two, and I did drop some weight, but it did not help me establish good habits because I was always thinking about how I could fudge the building blocks. I ended up regaining all I'd lost and more, landing squarely at 339 before finally sobering up and getting serious about not fooling myself.

Knowing about the high resting metabolism didn't help me because it just encouraged me to rationalize why I could lose weight on a 3000 calorie per day diet if I pursued normal activities. My physician warned me that the numbers were inordinantly high, and that I shouldn't count on that working, and I smugly pointed out that the numbers must be good because they were experimentally determined.

It is amazing how stupid we can be when we're convincing ourselves that the lifestyle we've fallen into is OK, especially if we can see many other people following similar lifestyles. It is easy to rationalize that we're normal.

Yeah, that's why I'm an advocate for actually tracking the calories at least for some months. It gives great insight into where the calories come from and what the problem area is. Just chowing down on a massive bucket of popcorn every night can be the thing that puts a person over the top, even though popcorn is actually not that bad as a snack compared to some potato chips etc.

Just writing foods down doesn't do it, it has to be something that can tell you how many of your calories came from specific sources. For instance, that a cup of boiled pasta has the same caloric amount as a big steak, but obviously the steak will keep you satiated for much longer, that sort of thing.

I tried the APPS thing. It drove me crazy. And there is no problem with a nice Rib Eye steak!

Dropped a few lbs since the other day. Maybe Triumph should start a fat boys club.....:eek:

I put on the long haul seat with the backrest yesterday, found it pushed me to far forward as well.
This morning I took to it with a grinder. I ground about 3mm off where the back rest hits the adjuster thingy.
This moved the rest back about a inch. Just got back from a 100 mile test ride and I can honestly say I feel like I only rode 1 mile.
Im pushing 380lbs myself and it was comfy as so no diet for me.
Heres a pic,

20140430_150154.jpg

In my case its not the back rest but the extra thickness of the seat itself. But in the mean time Utopia has one of my stock seats and is fabbing a bracket and back rest for it as we speak. If all goes well it would be another option for us Tourer owners.

Back