Let me guess, my ignition switch is toast

Grumpy_Rocket

.040 Over
So, a while back I posted about my brake light staying on all of the time. That I fixed after finding shorted wires that ran to the rear brake switch. Today I go to start my bike at work, and it starts up fine. I ride off (btw I literally had the ****tiest night at work ever, I can't even begin to cover how bad it was) and make it half a block from my work and my headlights cut out. I make it 3 miles to my house and pop the fuses, none of them are blown. I also notice my rear brake light isn't on (driving light). I looked at my dirty wiring diagram printout, and sure enough both fuses for the rear running brakight and headlights run through the ignition switch.

I didn't have the time to test for power at the fuses, but this sounds like the ignition switch took a dump right? The bike couldn't even wait for me to put hid lights in. They should have hired me to design the electrical system on this bike, this is focking rediculous. After seeing the wiring they used for the rear brake light its my opinion that they used to small of a gauge of wire for the bikes electrical system, and even more disastrous they used too thin of insulation.

They wired the bike per the design engineer's specs. The specs weren't for efficiency, they were for cost. Triumph goes cheap where they can to keep the price point within the competition (that point being to sell the bike), So what they did was put relays in where they needed them for big power draws. Since the headlights are a medium power draw they probably (speculation here) didn't need anything heavier than a 15 amp fuse to run just the lights. If you'll note the crossover relay (fuse 9) has a 15 amp fuse. What they didn't account for was the ignition switch heat load at continuous 10 amps. Therefore the wires while not ideal are adequate, what's inadequate and needs redesign is the ignition switch terminal block to carry contiuous 20 amp service and problem is solved (but not ideal).
:soapbox:

Did you miss the Made in England logo?

I'm still think if you look hard enough you'll also find a Lucas logo.

Back